RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: CPU mistake  (Read 17490 times)

texasboy

CPU mistake
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:29:00 am »
Dont know what I was thinking about yest. (maybe FSB speed) But I ordered a CPU IntelSL3XW 667MHZ 370 PIN  FOR £9.95.
Quantum you will know that I`m refering to the old family PC (2002) which is used only for web and e-mails.
HP Pavillon 710 Intel celeron S 1300mhz (13x100) Tualatin A80530.
Code and data cache 16kb
L2 cache 256
370 pin FC PGA2
44 million transisters
Process Tech. 6m,0.13um CMOS
core voltage 1.5v
i/o voltage 3.3v
Power from 22w to 33.4w at 1.3mhz

This pc is still running well and downloading files at 240-260kbs

The one I ordered is 667mhz processor but also a Pentium 111.
Bus speed 133mhz,L2 cache is 256kb,FC PGA,0.18 micron and is 370 pin,thermal design power 82C,cpuid string 17.5w.

Any chance of this fitting? And since CPU is only 667mhz but more modern would there be much of a difference in performance
Wont break the bank if it doesnt. Old age catching up.lol                                                                                 cheers
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:41:23 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: CPU mistake
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:06:55 am »
Well assuming no motherboard incompatibilities, it should certainly fit in the computer. But I doubt it'll be worth it, I've been checking various wikipedia reference tables and putting the data in to Intel's database and I've found this about the CPUs:

Your current one:
Release Date: January 3, 2002
Manufacturing Technology:  0.13 micron (lower is better)
L2 Cache Speed:  1.3GHz

The one you've ordered:
Release Date: October 25, 1999
Manufacturing Technology:  0.18 micron (lower is better)
L2 Cache Speed:  667MHz (guess it has 1:1 ratio with clock speed)

So by all accounts, your current one should be better.

Links I used:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL3XW
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL5VR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors#Pentium_III
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:23:38 am »
So the one you have now is 100Mhz FSB and the one you ordered was 133Mhz?

I don't think that could make up for the fact that it's half the clock speed. (667 vs. 1300)

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:16:11 am »

I don't think that could make up for the fact that it's half the clock speed. (667 vs. 1300)

;D feel like a proper plonker. But still, I can always resurrect the old Win98(somewhere in the attic) 4MB hd,lol.
Install a very cheap Mobo and PSU. Cut a bigger hole in the case for better ventilation and install the CPU.Might do for letter writing.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:42:28 am »

;D feel like a proper plonker. But still, I can always resurrect the old Win98(somewhere in the attic) 4MB hd,lol.
Install a very cheap Mobo and PSU. Cut a bigger hole in the case for better ventilation and install the CPU.Might do for letter writing.
cheers

If it was me, I'd look at installing an extremely light version of Linux, see if I can't put together something that has a pretty good response time for just e-mails / letter writing and stuff. But for me that'd be a really fun project ^_^.

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:49:27 am »

cheers

If it was me, I'd look at installing an extremely light version of Linux, see if I can't put together something that has a pretty good response time for just e-mails / letter writing and stuff. But for me that'd be a really fun project ^_^.
I know that sounds like fun for a rainy day. Even if I blow something up it will be cheap and exciting.lol
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:56:44 am »
Yeah, I've just been browsing through wikipedia, these 2 distributions both seem good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_Linux

Here's a larger over view of Linux distributions with the goals of running as being serious OS' running at tiny system requirements: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Linux

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:05:43 am »
Many thanks Quantum,
Will let you know when the smoke detector starts beeping. Will drag it down tmw and view size of case,
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:31:10 am »
 ;D Just received the CPU today. It`s so tiny that I wont need but one drop of thermal paste.lol
Still we all learn from mistakes,
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 10:36:22 am »
I wouldn't feel bad, it wasn't really worth much, and now you have a spare processor if one dies if anything.

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 04:43:25 am »
I wouldn't feel bad, it wasn't really worth much, and now you have a spare processor if one dies if anything.

Now that you have most of the info on this old one, is there anything bigger or better than the 1.3 CPU installed. Have tried various web sites and they dont even show anything more than 1.0. This PC has been the most reliable one I have owned. There are 3 other PC`s at home all modern and much higher specs, but I would like to hang on to this one for a while. And yes Quantum, its still running the old Radeon 9550 with 512 mb ram.lol
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 04:37:21 pm »
According to wiki there should essentially be the same CPU you have but clocked at 1.4 GHz, but that's it really in terms of how powerful that socket gets.

^_^, I'm often dealing with computers with 256MB of Ram, GeForce 2 and an Athlon CPU. I usually help people turn them in to a silent media centre  :D

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »
Is my CPU too small???

i've got a problem....when i use Windows Live Messenger, with my web cam, my CPU is running at around 90 to 100. If i'm downloading, it distorts my cam pics and audio :(
my CPU is...2.07 gig AMD Athlon, with 1536 megabytes installed memory.

any ideas guys???

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:20 pm »
Is my CPU too small???

i've got a problem....when i use Windows Live Messenger, with my web cam, my CPU is running at around 90 to 100. If i'm downloading, it distorts my cam pics and audio :(
my CPU is...2.07 gig AMD Athlon, with 1536 megabytes installed memory.

any ideas guys???

Yeah Windows Life Messenger is the worst written code I've ever seen in terms of wasting up CPU cycles. Might be able to help you out a little by showing you how to remove it's crap adverts and stuff, but I'm not sure any other programs that support MSN support it's webcam chat.

What CPU is it exactly? Download CPU-Z if you don't know: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php