RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: problem opening torrents found by Bit Che  (Read 47533 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: problem opening torrents found by Bit Che
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:55:25 pm »
hi...

alright, i think i have it working now :) seems I didnt 'force' the data/string conversion from Unicode using codepage 1033 (English), and so it was still being translated using the system default (in your case, 1041)..  I verified that my system's codepage/locale showed the same as your (128, 932  & 1041,1041) from my lang_detect.exe and then also tested that this 'x.exe' was indeed properly converting/saving the data  :)  so i hope this finally works for you..

about the antivirus, i was testing using a new packer that doesnt give DEP (data execution prevention) problems, but apparently those anti-virus programs dont like it  ??? so i've attached this new build 1.0.5  of 'x.exe' using the older file packer. the file was crypted, is not infected with any type of virus. =/ but in any case, i guess i'll have to figure out another way to solve the DEP problems, haha, oh well.. but atleast we SHOULD have fixed the downloading problem now.

*crosses fingers*  :)

-chip
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:58:00 pm by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Sam OBIWAN

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 03:37:33 am »
Dear Chip-san,

Crossing my fingers, now I've just checked it out. 

Yes!!!!!  It works perfectly.  :D

It is just great.  I really thank you!

Hope this makes a lot of Bit Che users worldwide happy!!!

Thanks and regards,

dudekd83

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 08:39:19 am »
I'm having a different problem. Bit Che is finding files for me quickly and easily. However, when I attempt to open them utorrent (1.7.5) tells me "Unable to load '_____': The system cannot find the path specified."

I've bolded "path" specifically, because that word seem rather unique to this thread.

EDIT....
It appears this has to do with something called "port forwarding" but i don't even know what that is. I've been sent to "portforward.com", but it is as though I am reading greek. I am absolutely drowning in this computer language and lingo. There are so many new words I need to add to my lexicon before I can move forward, and I just don't have the time.

Is there some simple/intuitive/plain-english way for me to first troubleshoot and then solve my port forwarding troubles?

Thank you so much to whomever can help!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:03:06 am by dudekd83 »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:55:53 am »
well i dont see what port forwarding has to do with loading a .torrent file, whoever sent you there might have been helping you with something else?

in any case, lets take a look at your problem unable to open torrents from Bit Che into uTorrent..

1.  use Bit Che to open a torrent.
2.  assuming you get the error message from uTorrent, you may click OK on the error message in uTorrent
3.  using Windows Explorer, go to the "temp" folder where Bit Che is installed. Normally, this will be   C:\Program Files\Bit Che\temp\
4.  you should see at least one file named something like "tempXXXX.torrent"
5.  double click one of these files. what happens? does that open just fine in uTorrent?

also, what version of Windows are you using?

dudekd83

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:58 am »
well i dont see what port forwarding has to do with loading a .torrent file, whoever sent you there might have been helping you with something else?

in any case, lets take a look at your problem unable to open torrents from Bit Che into uTorrent..

1.  use Bit Che to open a torrent.
2.  assuming you get the error message from uTorrent, you may click OK on the error message in uTorrent
3.  using Windows Explorer, go to the "temp" folder where Bit Che is installed. Normally, this will be   C:\Program Files\Bit Che\temp\
4.  you should see at least one file named something like "tempXXXX.torrent"
5.  double click one of these files. what happens? does that open just fine in uTorrent?

also, what version of Windows are you using?

Regarding the port forwarding. I have now completed this. I was told that uTorrent could not operate on a dynamic IP, and so I was told I needed to create a static IP and log into my router to set up "port forwarding" to forward to a specific port specified by/definined in uTorrent. I have done all of this. But my problem persists.

Thank you for attempting to help me. To be sure, I really appreciate it. Regarding you instructions, however, I can only follow up until step three--there is no temp older in my c:/program files/bit che folder. Any other suggestions or ideas?

dudekd83

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:27:56 am »
Also, I am running Windows Vista. Thank you again in advance.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 12:17:07 pm »
ok, well if its not there, then Bit Che be having trouble creating this folder. maybe UAC in Vista is preventing this from happening. lets try making sure that Bit Che is running in Administrator mode..

1. right click on one of Bit Che's shortcut icons (either on your Desktop or your Quick Launch area).
2. click 'properties'
3. verify that you are on the 'Shortcut' tab
4. click the 'Advanced..' button
5. check the box that says 'Run as administrator'
6. click 'OK' twice, closing out the dialog boxes
7. now click on the icon shortcut that you just modified, and repeat the steps from the earlier post.

EDIT:  after further research, it does appear that Vista and the new UAC prevents an application from creating folders/files in their own directory unless its run as Administrator. hopefully the above steps will help, otherwise i'm sure there is another way to force a program to run with Administrator privileges.

EDIT 2:  can you see if you have the "tempXXXX.torrent" files located here:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore   where <UserName> is your Windows User Name
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:29:54 pm by chip! »

dudekd83

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:49 pm »
Chip,

Wow. you have been both persistent and helpful, and--most importantly--your latest suggestions have helped some. I set Bit Che in administrator mode as you suggested. Then, I found the torrent files in that "virtual store" folder (through the Program Files/Bit Che/temp connection there). Moreover, I was able to download one file of interest through uTorrent in this way (perhaps notably, though, the file downloaded very slowly).

Now, my next (and likely obvious) question is this: What do I need to do to bypass these inconvenient steps (going through "virtual store", etc.) in the future? Are there any settings or preferences that I can change?

Again, thank you so much. I hate to sound like a sap, but your help on this forum has been far more useful than that which I gathered from a half dozen friends and other online sources. I am very appreciative. O0

EDIT: Sorry to be a pain, but I have an additional question: the first file i downloaded was a song, with supposed password protection (to something called "speedytorrent.net"). What exactly is that all about, and is there any way for me to predict which torrents will be that way--so as to avoid them? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:38:03 pm by dudekd83 »

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 11:09:36 pm »
Since your client is µTorrent you need to visit the FAQ from their website, the link I'll post right away:

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php

TheHalf™

dudekd83

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 01:40:35 am »
I am not sure if it makes sense that this worked, but I added uTorrent to my windows firewall, and now everything works perfectly (there are no longer invalid "path" errors, and downloading files bit che finds is now simple and intuitive).

Thank you for all of your help. This is a fantastic board.

Best wishes.

doomcrew2123

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 02:33:10 am »
I have had this problem and here is every thing Ive done to get it working. Use the updated x.exe files and if in vista set the Bit_Che.exe in the proggram files directory to run in admininistrator mode from the compatibility tab in the files properties. if all else fails install to an XP SP2 machine and copy the install files to a flash drive (and leave them there if you want to run it portably) then copy the files into your install directory deleting your previously installed Bit Che.

Oddly enough the program ALWAYS ran off of a flash drive

barry6521

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 02:54:01 am »
Hi All just joined . Im have ing the same problem "file path etc also in the bit che directory there is no TEMP file/folder i have searched for it but its as if its hidden im usuing vista Cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 05:19:35 am »
If you are running Windows Vista and are receiving 'path/temp file not found' when opening or saving torrents, this is because you are running Bit Che as a standard user in Vista. User Access Control (UAC) prevents Bit Che from downloading/saving the torrents in its own program folder unless Bit Che is running with Administrative privileges. 

How can you fix this? Here are two options.

Run Bit Che with Administrative privileges:
1. right click on one of Bit Che's shortcut icons (either on your Desktop or your Quick Launch area).
2. click 'properties'
3. verify that you are on the 'Shortcut' tab
4. click the 'Advanced..' button
5. check the box that says 'Run as administrator'
6. click 'OK' twice, closing out the dialog boxes
7. now click on the icon shortcut that you just modified, and it should be fixed.

OR
You can copy the entire Bit Che directory ("c:\program files\bit che\") to your Desktop and you can run it there.

ALSO
If you are running Bit Che on a machine that is not English, please download and replace this file in your Bit Che directory:
http://www.convivea.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=896.0;attach=681
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:28:32 am by chip! »

barry6521

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »
Hey Chip " you der MAN" it worked ,thanks for your help super little program . Cheers B

Offline labnil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2022, 11:37:09 pm »
I was told that the problem is related to a corrupt bittorrent client. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall uTorrent, but nothing happens. I'm not even able to find the installation files in my computer. I have also tried to run an antivirus scan on my computer, but no viruses were found.

When I try to open a torrent file with any other Bit Torrent client than uTorrent, everything works fine, so I'm pretty sure that the problem is in uTorrent, but I have no idea how to solve it.

www.imybkexperience.com www.mykfc-experience.com www.mybpcreditcard.one
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:40:44 pm by labnil »