RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Modern AAA video games try too hard to be movies  (Read 72 times)

Offline viprit

• View Profile
Modern AAA video games try too hard to be movies
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:48:56 pm »
Surely I am not the only one tired of the pretentiousness of most big budget modern games. They try so hard to "elevate the art" or be an "interactive experience" that they forget how to be fun, engaging experiences.

A game's main objective should be gameplay (includes game design, level design, a.i, difficulty balancing and controls obviously), the reason we play games is to interact, not to passively watch something.

For example: when people talk about Red Dead Redemption 2, it's always about the details, how realistic it is, the performances and the story. No one discusses how they play, the misson variety or the level design.

It seems like a big problem with western games, and it is the main reason I have a hard time enjoying most AAA western releases. In the end I enjoy Japanese games a lot more because they aren't ashamed of being Video games first and foremost. Even if they do have cutscenes or long stories (JRPG's, Metal Gear, etc) it's not the focus, the focus is gameplay and mechanics first and foremost.