RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: One for you Quantum et-all  (Read 66348 times)

texasboy

One for you Quantum et-all
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:20 am »
 ;D Got an offer last night from a friend who was upgrading mobo to PCI-E. Not that I am sure what to do with his old graphic card.
HIS Radeon X1950 PRO ICE Q3 512MB AGP Graphic card. Overclocked by HIS.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=553
If you have time to go through the reviews.
My family PC might need a bigger PSU  and 6 pin power connector to work, But other Mobo NI8GR should be ok. Might even be better than the 6800 GS GLH card.
Yes its mine now.lol
Any thoughts out there.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: One for you Quantum et-all
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:35:37 am »
What exactly do you want to know?
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:29 am »
You want to know x1950 pro vs. 6800GS?

x1950 pro wins hands down, for their respective times their about equivalent cards, but the x1950 pro is a generation newer than the 6800GS.

Neither of them are exactly power by today standards, but certainly good. You can get molex to 6 pin connectors, but a good quality (that's good quality not just the highest wattage for the cheapest price) PSU is always advised.

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:58 am »
Can I use this in old PC if I change the PSU.??
cheers
Sorry posted on top of you
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:45:08 am by texasboy »

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:45:57 am »

Do you know wot he's waffling on about Quantum??...i think he's been at the Chivas again :D

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:59:22 am by texasboy »

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:57:53 am »
 ;D ;D
  This is a thread where most common members may not be familiar with the terms used. You are kindly requested to contact your nearest Mod that knows what he/she is conversant with. Your views are always welcomed but we kindly ask you to stand upright and keep your head where it should be.
We thank you for your input
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:00:36 am »
I can't find any info on that mobo, you have link to specs or summat? But if it's AGP 8x and you have either an AGP 8x or 4x mobo, should be find I think.

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:22:04 am »
Catch up with you tmw, Need some sleep before work.
tks

texasboy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:21:30 am »
I can't find any info on that mobo, you have link to specs or summat? But if it's AGP 8x and you have either an AGP 8x or 4x mobo, should be find I think.
Hi Quantum,
The N18 SLI GR MOBO http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?fMTYPE=LGA775&pMODEL_NAME=NI8-SLI%20GR
Which I have the 2x 6800 GS GLH 512MB installed but waiting for delivery of the bridge piece to connect the 2 cards.485gpu and 1300 mem stock.2 GB MEM 500W PSU. This of course is PCI-E. Since the AGP card is now mine I have 2 questions.
1) Will the AGP card run on this mobo as an alternative to PCI-E(just looked again maybe no AGP slots)
2)Would the AGP card be too much for the older family PC (presently running Radeon 9550 256mb) HP Pavillon 710 with 1.3ghz celeron processor 512MB RAM will check PSU wattage on Everest when I finish this post and update Mobo shows support for 133 FSB which isnt that high.
cheers
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:54:44 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 05:55:44 am »
Hi Quantum,
The N18 SLI GR MOBO http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?fMTYPE=LGA775&pMODEL_NAME=NI8-SLI%20GR
Which I have the 2x 6800 GS GLH 512MB installed but waiting for delivery of the bridge piece to connect the 2 cards.485gpu and 1300 mem stock.2 GB MEM 500W PSU. This of course is PCI-E. Since the AGP card is now mine I have 2 questions.
1) Will the AGP card run on this mobo as an alternative to PCI-E(just looked again maybe no AGP slots)
2)Would the AGP card be too much for the older family PC (presently running Radeon 9550 256mb) HP Pavillon 710 with 1.3ghz celeron processor from memory this is at 250gpu and 200mem.512MB RAM will check PSU wattage on Everest when I finish this post and update

cheers

Yeah, an AGP Graphics card won't fit in a PCI-e slot... and I've only ever once seen a mobo have both a PCI-e slot and an AGP slot and it was a terrible motherboard.

Should fit fine in that old computer (I guess it'll be AGP 4x or 8x). But you'll likely need to pick up a better PSU. This is the PSU I use frequently for people who need an alright quality one on a budget: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Xilence+420W+Gaming+PSU+?productId=19868

That said I think their postal charge is a rip off if I remember rightly (I live a 10 min walk away from them).

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:17:59 am »
Many thanks Quantum,
I`ll do a little bit of shopping around for this one. I suppose any decent /quiet PSU from 350-450w will be more than adequate for the older rig. What I cant understand is why this old thing is still great for everyday use and still has good download speeds 250-280kbs. . Keep wanting to change the mobo ,but keep it on AGP. But thats for another day .
cheers

ZootCadillac

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:26 am »
I put these in my new builds for customers on a budget.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106619
You may not need to change it. Take the side off and see what the wattage is, more importantly see what the ampage os on the 12v rail ( it will say on the sticker ) anything at or above 25a and you are fine. If that's the case then you want this.http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=159192
I'd be interested in seeing your everest report as I'm not sure that PC has a 8x AGP interface in which case the card would be wasted.
What I will tell you is that you have on your hands just about the best AGP card that was ever made. HIS squeezed every last bit out of that and it performs better than a lot of PCIe cards do today. If you got it for free than good on you, if you paid less than £80 for it then you are still good.
In fact as for the family PC goes I would consider just buying a new mobo and CPU just to build around that card, it is that good. You could pick up a second hand board and CPU in the region of an AMD XP 3000+ for under £40 and it would bloaw away your celeron ( which frankly are no better than calculators ). Coupled with that card you would still have a very decent rig for next to no money.
As Quantum said, it won't fit in your PCIe rig.
Your download speeds have nothing to do with the system. As long as it has a 10 base T ethernet connection you could be running a 10 year old PC and still et the same speeds.
I'm a system builder so if you need advice about upgrades please feel free to ask. If you find no use for the HIS card and want to sell it send me a mail.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:41:06 am by ZootCadillac »

texasboy

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 09:34:27 am »
 ;D Tks ZC and Quantum.
The following is a bunch of info which seems sadly outdated.lol

Mobo is 6 yrs old,with 544pin BGA
core voltage 1.85
mem timings 2,2,2,5,7,
AGP ver 2.0
4x AGP
PSU is Bestec model no ATX1956F
Although it says 200w max. Recommended 150w
Outside dimensions of case are approx 20x35-37cm
Mobo looks to be about 26x26 cm
Now.!!! I still have 2 cool sink fans for the 775 socket CPU as follows
1)AKASA DC 12v ballbearing.
2)Intel SY22D P2 DC 12V 0.42A from NIDEC CORP (lots of other numbers).
A recommendation for a cheap new mobo which would fit into present case? Might be a tall order since new boards are so much bigger. Remember its me not a gamer and anything with socket 775. Would be willing to purchase case to fit. The card would keep me going for quite a while.
Start yer clocks.lol
TKS
cheers

FYI I just purchased ATX 500w psu from Tekheads for £8.99 +p&p . I know it`s only a budget one.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:37:26 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 10:18:06 am »
;D Tks ZC and Quantum.
The following is a bunch of info which seems sadly outdated.lol

Mobo is 6 yrs old,with 544pin BGA
core voltage 1.85
mem timings 2,2,2,5,7,
AGP ver 2.0
4x AGP
PSU is Bestec model no ATX1956F
Although it says 200w max. Recommended 150w
Outside dimensions of case are approx 20x35-37cm
Mobo looks to be about 26x26 cm
Now.!!! I still have 2 cool sink fans for the 775 socket CPU as follows
1)AKASA DC 12v ballbearing.
2)Intel SY22D P2 DC 12V 0.42A from NIDEC CORP (lots of other numbers).
A recommendation for a cheap new mobo which would fit into present case? Might be a tall order since new boards are so much bigger. Remember its me not a gamer and anything with socket 775. Would be willing to purchase case to fit. The card would keep me going for quite a while.
Start yer clocks.lol
TKS
cheers

FYI I just purchased ATX 500w psu from Tekheads for £8.99 +p&p .

:/. the PSU will probably do you alright for such an old system. Just never buy something like that for a new system, a good quality PSU is seen as the backbone of a good modern computer these days (mainly because who wants to run the risk of it frying their brand new components?).

God knows what CPUs this actually supports, but it says the Pentium 4 line so should be o.k: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/113839 . I've long given up trying to work out which LGA775 mobo fits which LGA775 CPU. Say what you want about AMDs socket changes, but at least socket xxx mobo will almost always work with socket xxx CPU (even if a BIOS update is needed) and occasionally socket yyy CPU will fit in socket xxx mobo.

You'd probably find a better deal on eBay or Amazon marketplace though

texasboy

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:26:37 am »
 ;D Tks Quantum.
Looking in to this mobo.
But heres a bit of a laugh for you. Remembered I still had my first PC in the attic. Pulled it down tonight  to look at the insides. Took the HD out. (remember this is 1999.lol) win 95-98. Seagate Medalist 4321, model no ST34321A. Yes 4.3 GB hard drive ::) They still advertise this product.http://www.ciao.co.uk/Seagate_Medalist_4321_4_3_GB__18199. Actually the figures are not that bad for the times. PSU is Powerman output 145w/6amps
Can use some of the connections/plugs etc.
It`s even got a 32x max cd player built in. plus floppy. The CPU fan is only 2x2 inches. Gave me lots of fun when I first started. I remember the salesman telling me that that the max upgrade on HD for the mobo was 10-15MB.
How times have changed.
cheers
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 04:20:21 am by texasboy »