RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: One for you Quantum et-all  (Read 66343 times)

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: One for you Quantum et-all
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:17 am »
Yeah, times have changed Tex......do try to keep up, old chap ::)

:D

texasboy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 07:01:48 am »
Quantum, looking at your sugested Mobo and without going overboard on the P4 would the following be ok or do I need something slightly better to run the card. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134552. It does offer more alternatives on E- buyers.
tks for the input.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »
Quantum, looking at your sugested Mobo and without going overboard on the P4 would the following be ok or do I need something slightly better to run the card. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134552. It does offer more alternatives on E- buyers.
tks for the input.
cheers

Ugh..., the problem with going down this road of "if I'm getting a better item X, why don't I get a better item y?" is pretty quickly you've found yourself in the position of having bought an almost whole new computer for slightly more than it would actually cost to buy a whole new computer and with far inferior specs.

For a few pounds less than that CPU you can but this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136311 .That CPU is as powerful running on single core, but it has 2 cores...

But yeah I guess that CPU is o.k, it's at least on 65nm design... Though still probably runs hot as hell compared to any modern CPU.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 04:51:03 am »
 ;D Trying to keep cost down. The only expense will be mobo and CPU less than £70. Reason I was trying to stay with socket 775 is that I have the cool sinks on hand.
The PSU states full support for Intel P4  and AMD K7 compatable. Also have extra fans for cooling.
So I am at the stage of looking at your suggested mobo but trying to find a suitable pentium 4  to match. Doesnt have to be top of the line but enough to run card. Maybe my first  choice  was not correct.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:11 am »
 ;D  OK got the pentium 4  3.0GHZ 2MB Cache socket 775 for under £20 on e-bay. Now for an extra £11 need opinion on the following Mobo. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131143/show_product_specifications The original mobo will be ok, and all I need is thermal paste and a suitable Case from £10-17. . So all in all a very cheap build. All sorts of connectors and fans lying around.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 01:08:33 am »
;D  OK got the pentium 4  3.0GHZ 2MB Cache socket 775 for under £20 on e-bay. Now for an extra £11 need opinion on the following Mobo. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131143/show_product_specifications The original mobo will be ok, and all I need is thermal paste and a suitable Case from £10-17. . So all in all a very cheap build. All sorts of connectors and fans lying around.
cheers

That mobo looks fine, just make sure it supports your type of RAM and stuff. I've never had a problem with an ASRock mobo (though funilly enough, their owners ASUS I've has endless problems with).

Seems to have both a PCI-e and AGP graphics slots, will be good if you ever find get given a better PCI-e graphics card I guess  :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:10:41 am by Quantum »

texasboy

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:06:16 am »
Tks,
I kinda liked the specs on that mobo. I can always borrow the 2 GB mem from the PCI-E  PC upstairs for a trial run. Provided my eyesight still allows me to wire up the mobo correctly lol. Theres plenty of ram out there at good prices if this works . The old HP case has had its day and might be a bit crowded with the new  graphics card(its a monster), so I will look around for a reasonably priced case which everything will fit into comfortably,allowing me to add fans as needed. For a general purpose PC it will do  for quite a while.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 07:29:07 am »
 ;D As an update. Had a look at the new AGP x1950 Pro HIS card. It says on the box Turbo 594mzh engine speed and 1.54GHZ mem speed which is different from my original link. I presume this is still reasonable?
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 09:23:46 am »
;D As an update. Had a look at the new AGP x1950 Pro HIS card. It says on the box Turbo 594mzh engine speed and 1.54GHZ mem speed which is different from my original link. I presume this is still reasonable?
cheers

:/, the Pro isn't as good as the XT, but it's still pretty good.

texasboy

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 07:35:22 am »
Got the mobo Gigabyte 775 Intel GA-8I865GME-775-RH 865G/ICH5 FSB800 8xAGP onboard VGA 2xDual CH DDR 400 6Channel Audio Micro ATX Motherboard
 locally for £35 at MPLEX, plus a reasonable case for £25. Now all I have to do is find the time to start putting all this together. Finally got the SLI rig up and running in the other PC,after 2 complete windows formats,(due to careless overclocking.lol). Updated all the drivers I can think of,but probably still a few more to go. Graphics seem excellent and most downloads in the 500-600kbs range. Had a little bit of a panic when I added an additional 120mm fan to the back of the case behind the Artic cooler7 pro heat sink. Temps started rising from the low 40`s to 51+, Had the fan blowing the wrong way. Changed, and temps now 28-35 range.
Will let you know any problems on the new rig as I go along.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 08:06:33 am »
Sounds nice  ;D

texasboy

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 07:32:00 am »
 ;D
One more item for thought would be a new internal HD. Maybe 160GB ??
I can hear you laughing Quantum. Yes the extra`s are starting to come in now. Not to mention quality faster Ram >:D
Still an old man must have his fun,lol
cheers
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:40:11 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 09:38:28 am »
;D
I can hear you laughing Quantum. Yes the extra`s are starting to come in now. Not to mention quality faster Ram >:D
cheers

IDE or SATA? I hear Western Digital have come out with a 320GB hard drive that runs on a single platter. Also have you read anything about perpendicular storage method?

texasboy

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05:01 am »
;D
cheers

IDE or SATA? I hear Western Digital have come out with a 320GB hard drive that runs on a single platter. Also have you read anything about perpendicular storage method?
Believe it or not Quantum in my ignorance of how Sata and Raid works, I havent done any research yet. I noticed that some of the members on the computer forums  use Sata. Would there be any advantage for me to use a Sata hard drive. I have the connections for it. Maybe you would have some links for me to read up on? Just home from work at 8pm and hard to spend the extra time on unknown product. Plenty of hard drives in the £26-50 range, would not want to spend more. Appreciate your thoughts.
cheers
Would this be a fair asumption. http://www.cgicomputerwares.com/index_165.htm
tks
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:51:50 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 11:56:22 pm »
There's no practical difference between a SATA or IDE (also known as ATA or PATA) drives at this point.

It really depends what connectors are on your motherboard, SATA drives tend to be slightly cheaper unless you find an IDE one on sale. If you do get a SATA drive, you need to make sure you have a SATA data cable (should be a fair bit less than £1) and a SATA power cable (molex to SATA cables are as cheap if not cheaper than SATA data cables).

500GB is the cheapest £/GB ratio at the moment I think. Also a new tech for hard drives have come out called 'perpendicular storage method' this allows platter densities to be much higher, reducing the amount of platters, increasing the life expectancy and reliability of the hard drive.

16MB of Cache offers almost no tangible performance over 8MB, only get higher amounts of cache when it's the time price or cheaper.

Easy enough to pick up a 320GB hard drive in that price range. But out of all 320GB hard drives, this one is probably the best as it runs on a single platter: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124735

Edit: Not sure if that's actually the single platter one! Apparently that model number is used both for the single platter and a double 160GB platter  ???

Read this for details: http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Western+Digital+Launches+Single+Platter+320GB+Desktop+Drive/article10432.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:02:03 am by Quantum »