Author Topic: One for you Quantum et-all  (Read 66293 times)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: One for you Quantum et-all
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 06:43:14 am »
Went through everthing again. It was a faulty processor. Changed over to the spare P4 and have signal to monitor . spend my spare time installing WinXP to SATA hard drive/drivers etc. Will let you know in next few days.
cheers

Ahh, it's a pain, but at least good when you work out what the problem is.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:43 am »
i am actually on the new pc now. it is running great with good download speeds,only limited by the old 19"crt monitor. one little problem, you will notice that i am typing in lower case. whenever i hit caps it gives me caps but refuses to return to lower case after hitting caps key again. only returns after restart.
went into radeon site to check what games i was compatable with. it said i need to upgrade to 128mb ram preferable x1600 series with all the same other specs that are on this x1950 pro 512mb ram. doesent sound right. think i have downloaded all the drivers/forceware etc. maybe i missed something.? ati shows core at 594 and mem at 770(dual mem to 1540)  there is a jumper on the graphic card for reset which i hope i have returned to the correct pins.
TEMP 37 ON STOCK COOLER .WILL CHANGE. SORRY HIT CAP BY MISTAKE.LOL
CHEERS
restarted,very quick on boot up. tried 2 other keyboards and still same problem with caps. there are settings at start up to enable/disable mouse/keyboard on usb. presently disabled and on serial.
any thoughts anyone??
tks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:14:19 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 08:56:35 am »
Do you mean shift is always held down?

You might want to look up sticky keys or shift lock on some windows sites, not sure.

Good to hear everything is working, though I'm not sure what you mean about on the RAM... Good to hear everything is working, what CPU did you get in the end?

texasboy

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 10:27:54 am »
changed heat sink to artic cooler freezer 7 pro with fan control. IT IS RUNNING AT 660-690RPM. NEED TO CHANGE ONE CASE FAN AROUND. SEE WHAT I MEAN ABOUT CAPS,CANT GET OUT OF THIS WITHOUT RE-BOOT.
INSTALLED A P4 630 TO GET ME GOING. SINCE MOBO IS FSB800 WAS LOOKING AT http://www.mplex.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=1283 THIS IS LOCAL STORE NO P AND P any other suggestions ref cpu,  will reboot and try to clear this lot up
cheers.
w`oops it just cleared to lower case.
rebooted and back on lower case again. can you check out any other prices for core 2 duo at fsb 800 keeping in mind p&p.
had all case fans on exhaust, but will change front fan to blow into case and exhaust to rear and side of case.
little bit of extra money coming in this weekend from old unused pension funds.so can afford a decent cpu.lol
need a decent new monitor  to handle higher resolution.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:53:50 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »
Do you mean Caps or do you mean shift? Or both?

I'd suggest asking around on other tech forums as well.

texasboy

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2008, 02:42:38 am »
 ;DJust bought cheap keyboard from PC World £4.97 and as you can see its working. Have to hit the shift key to change to lower case.
Any thoughts on cpu or monitor. Had a look at tft flatscreen monitors,the resolution and contrast ratio vary quite a bit .
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2008, 05:19:06 am »
;DJust bought cheap keyboard from PC World £4.97 and as you can see its working. Have to hit the shift key to change to lower case.
Any thoughts on cpu or monitor. Had a look at tft flatscreen monitors,the resolution and contrast ratio vary quite a bit .
cheers

No idea on CPUs reallly, specific Intel CPUs ain't my thing.

TFT monitors are all about what price you want to spend, then looking up the best for that price. Any colour brightness above 400 nits is a bit pointless and an easy way to get contrast ratio higher it to increase the maximum brightness.

So yeah, 20 inch wide screen 1680 x 1050 monitors are pretty cheap these days it seems.

texasboy

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2008, 11:24:31 pm »
tks.
ran a test on c-net to see if agp pc would run vista.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-6671810-1.html?tag=more.vista
seems like the mobo is running the p4 in duo mode. ie from 3.oghz up to 4.52ghz.
Dont know how reliable test is.
On broadband tests(tried several usa/uk) average 4000+kbps down and 390kbps up.
Since I changed the case fan around cpu temp has dropped to 34deg and fan speed abt 590.
However Everest shows chassis fan speed at 2000rpm. 3X120MMcase fans, one plugged into system fan connector plus fan on card. Would this be a total speed for the 3 fans?. getting great air flow through case
cheers
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:29:17 pm by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 12:22:33 am »
I've never ever trusted Everest statistics, but 2000rpm isn't unusual.

I use Speedfan a lot and CPU-Z to check other computer specifics.

I'm not sure what you mean about up to 4.52 GHz? The only way to get netburst to clock that high is to use something like liquid nitrogen cooling  ;D.

texasboy

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2008, 01:58:06 am »
will try to get a print out link posted shortly. But reading the report from C-NET it shows the p4 running as core 2 duo.(or dual core??) which might mean 2.26 ghz per core available.or 3.0 +1.52 extra
The link I posted needs to be changed as would only apply to whatever  pc which clicks on it.
cheers
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:04:26 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2008, 06:14:47 am »
will try to get a print out link posted shortly. But reading the report from C-NET it shows the p4 running as core 2 duo.(or dual core??) which might mean 2.26 ghz per core available.or 3.0 +1.52 extra
The link I posted needs to be changed as would only apply to whatever  pc which clicks on it.
cheers

??? ??? ???

I'm sorry, I really don't know what you mean.

Use CPU-Z to work out your exact specs.

texasboy

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 09:58:49 am »
Will be back tmw. just downloaded futuremark benchmark 3d  6  $19 will run and give you some figures. Free version will not allow too much but runs pc through Battlefield etc didnt do too bad . They seem more interested in the 3850/8800 series. CPU-Z wasnt much better (just showed basics).
catch you later.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 10:21:46 am »
Will be back tmw. just downloaded futuremark benchmark 3d  6  $19 will run and give you some figures. Free version will not allow too much but runs pc through Battlefield etc didnt do too bad . They seem more interested in the 3850/8800 series. CPU-Z wasnt much better (just showed basics).
catch you later.
cheers

Basics are everything, I don't even know what clock speed your CPU is... CPU-Z would tell you that exactly rather than confusing you.

texasboy

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:55 am »
Hi,
Right this is what I have gathered so far.
CPU-Z says. intel core 2 duo E4500 Conroe @2.2GHZ. Tech 65nm. core speed 22.109. multiplier x 11. bus speed 201mhz. FSB 804. Voltage at 1.296.
Also, CPU temp 15-19deg. core 1 and 2 at 24-29 deg. case fans at 1957 rpm.
Running 3d mark 06 benchmark. says I passed test. the following figures mean nothing to me until I learn a little more.
5164 3d marks
sm2.0 score 1986
hdr/sm 3.0 score 2203
cpu score 1916.
CPU is quite easily overclocked to 3.0ghz even up to 3.6 ghz if you know what your doing.lol

The core 2 duo processor  comes with its intel heatsink/fan which is highly rated before OC and very quiet.
So all in all I have the makings of new family PC.
More drivers to update yet.
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 12:47:56 pm »
 [couchhide] [bobdown]