Author Topic: Challenges for web developers  (Read 47 times)

Offline techysyska

• View Profile
Challenges for web developers
« on: December 28, 2020, 09:54:51 pm »
I agree with a lot of the authors' points. Adding on to that with some of my own (more general) challenges:

I think one big problem is that google is encompassing so much now, that websites are almost becoming redundant for most small businesses. Usually if I google a business name, virtually everything I wanted to know about it is right there.

The other problem is that there are so many tech-savvy people now, and despite the fact that there are a lot of talented people out there willing to solve hard problems, 99% of those problems have already been solved and been developed into products that let somebody use them without having to understand the solution. And as a developer, using these tools is hard because they are so restrictive that in a lot of cases you are better off just rebuilding it from scratch, which then becomes hard to justify to a customer.

That coupled with the time factor. Should I invest my career into learning a particular technology? It's a nice concept that a web developer can just know every framework and do everything, but with most, that's simply not the case. I(or whoever) can't just pick up angular and/or node/mongodb, etc and start spitting out production code after spending 5 years working with jQuery and PHP. It takes a person a good 6 months to get familiar enough with those technologies and there's a never-ending learning curve. Now all of a sudden they're supposed to just jump into a framework like angular that probably has 20k lines of code that's a giant convoluted dump of information and essentially suck at their career for the next year.

Someone could literally spend their entire working careers learning bits and pieces of all of the different new technologies to simply be able to formulate an opinion on which is the best.

Then of course you have tens of thousands of people in poor countries willing to do this type of work for a cost that is not sustainable to most professional developers. So the low-end market is shrinking every day.

And everything is becoming increasingly complicated. There is so much responsibility on a developer from a security standpoint. Hosting a website isn't easy. And developing one with the latest technologies requires an engineering degree that isn't taught in structured educational institutions. The expectations of pre-existing product features are becoming more and more impossible to meet in a new product. Your client wants a social media platform? Make a facebook group. You want to sell products online? Go use one of the countless e-business platforms out there.

You ask an engineer to build a bridge - they have a reasonable window of expectations. Someone asks a carpenter to build a house, again - they have a pretty good idea of what they're doing. You ask a doctor to perform a surgery, again - no problem. You ask a web developer to design a cross-browser/device website with some funky animations in the best technical way, and there's literally no answer. As a career path, it just leaves a giant cloud of doubt, uncertainty and shaken confidence in your own abilities on a daily basis. To be a web developer, you need to just throw a dart at the board and follow where it leads you in technology and become good at it and hope that it lasts long enough for you to be successful with it. You can't be an expert web developer. You can be an expert in a particular area of the technology while hordes of people around you are constantly creating newer/better versions of it that could potentially leave you with a useless skill that you've spent years of your life developing.

linksyssmartwifi-net amped-ampedwirelesssetup lin-ksyssmartwifi