RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Start up  (Read 18296 times)

gibbler1010

Start up
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:17:05 am »
Okay.. so when I reboot my laptop a folder opens up on my desktop called a comon folder.. it's empty.. so what I was wondering.. what is it from? and how do I stop it from loading at my start up?

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Start up
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:59:02 am »
Oh gawd I hate windows. I've seen this happen all the time and very rarely have I figured it out.

It could be a start-up key, a service, a common start-up, a windows process, part of the windows kernal or an application. Bugs like make me install Linux on some of my computers.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

gibbler1010

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:40:48 am »
it's odd because it just started doing it recently.. convieniently, after a recent update.. so I dunno.. it's just annoying because it slows everything down when the system starts up.

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:00:43 am »
it's odd because it just started doing it recently.. convieniently, after a recent update.. so I dunno.. it's just annoying because it slows everything down when the system starts up.
What was the update.???
Try this and let us know if it still shows.
Click on start/Run/type in "msconfig" and OK  This will show you 3 options, Normal start, Diagnostic,and Selective start. Click the box for selective start. Top right click on start,(do not touch boot or ini files) this will show you all the items that are included in your start up. Click disable all and then click on the boxes of programs that you want to start during boot up. Try just clicking on your firewall and antivirus click apply and restart. You can always repeat this and go back to "Normal startup".
Let us know.
cheers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:03:29 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:04:05 am »
Yeah, what Texas suggests isn't bad.

But you may have to select that box carefully, you may have important things like config utility for a wi-fi card or the like, but you can mess about in there as much as you want with fairly low risk to mucking up your system beyond needing to go back in there and ticking more needed options.

That said, I've seen this particular error before and that's never solved it before :(.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:07:40 pm »
Close to what Tex suggested... ...on the startup tab look under command (you may need to widened) and look at all the boxes where C:\Program Files\Common Files\  are checked and uncheck all or uncheck the ones you are unfamiliar with.

I believe that you may recently installed a new program, updated drivers or something along those lines. But what you can do is get us an image of that folder when it is expanded.

TheHalf™

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:25:11 am »
I bought a program called Winpatrol a couple of years ago, it's brilliant, it shows all your startup programs, explains in simple terms what they are and safely takes off any programs you don't want at startup.
coincidently i have been looking at the program today looking for info on a startup prog called 'Autorunsdisabled'
but the prog has not got any info on this, and i cant find info anywhere, google, etc

gibbler1010

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 09:19:54 am »
Close to what Tex suggested... ...on the startup tab look under command (you may need to widened) and look at all the boxes where C:\Program Files\Common Files\  are checked and uncheck all or uncheck the ones you are unfamiliar with.

I believe that you may recently installed a new program, updated drivers or something along those lines. But what you can do is get us an image of that folder when it is expanded.

TheHalf™

Well the folder actually opens on the reboot.. it's completely empty ???

gibbler1010

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:17:12 am »
Okay.. so I got another question.. does system restore like EVER work.. Because I have noticed since the SP2 came out..it's never worked since.

texasboy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:38:20 am »
Okay.. so I got another question.. does system restore like EVER work.. Because I have noticed since the SP2 came out..it's never worked since.

Works perfect Gib. I use it frequently. You still have plenty of free space left on PC ?
Presume you do all the updates/defrag/and CC Cleaner?
cheers

gibbler1010

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 09:45:27 am »
yeah I do all of that often.. I always go through the system restore when I have a problem.. but for some time now it's always said it's failed to complete.

texasboy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 10:04:05 am »
Have you got original c-rom for windows ,or is all pre-installed?
If you have cd you can boot fom cd from start up in DOS. ie when pc first starts  it will prompt you to hit DEL or an F key . Go into BIOS and change first boot up option to cd rom. Put cd in drive and use repair option to re-install files.Dont forget to go back in and change first boot to hard disk after you finish.
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05:30 am »
yeah I do all of that often.. I always go through the system restore when I have a problem.. but for some time now it's always said it's failed to complete.

it never works for me either :'(

texasboy

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:10:55 am »

it never works for me either :'(
What do you expect. Your over 50  >:D
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:12:55 am »
Gibbler, Did you ever get that sorted.
cheers