Author Topic: RIP HD DVD  (Read 11891 times)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
RIP HD DVD
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:44:45 pm »
(sorry couldn't resist with the ridiculous title)

Well I'm sure most here have heard by now, but in case you didn't:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206800463

Toshiba has formally announced the end of HD DVD, meaning the Blu-ray has now become the successor to DVD.

Don't think Quantum will be happy but I sure am  :)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP HD DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:27 pm »
 :( Makes me sad, having a region free, adaptive, consistently better looking format which didn't break early generation players would have been nice, but never mind...
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:14:44 pm »
I know this thread is a little old but Blu-ray's extra capacity was what I think really appealed to most people. I also like the idea of the required protective coating (whereas with HD-DVD it was optional), although blu-ray's data was closer to the edge and more susceptible to damage from scratches anyway.

The region free idea was what I really liked though. Blu-ray only has 3 regions but I'd rather it have one.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:39:45 am »
I know this thread is a little old but Blu-ray's extra capacity was what I think really appealed to most people. I also like the idea of the required protective coating (whereas with HD-DVD it was optional), although blu-ray's data was closer to the edge and more susceptible to damage from scratches anyway.

The region free idea was what I really liked though. Blu-ray only has 3 regions but I'd rather it have one.

The extra size has yet to be used well on blu-ray, with many films still coming out in the horrific MPEG2 codec and you need about 100 GB to make that look as good as 20 GB of VC-1 or h.264.

The reason it was optional on HD-DVD is because unlike Blu-Ray it wasn't designed like an open sandwich, if the layer of coating wasn't applied to Blu-Ray the slightest scratch would screw the whole disk up, HD DVD was better designed in this area.

The region system really screws over Anime fans in the U.K, we could at least easily get Japanese discs before hand, but we can now get neither American nor Japanese. It's just hard work and very anti-consumer.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:41 am »
I never looked into it because regions never affect me, but you should be able to get most blu-ray players in a PC to run any region. Even if windows only lets you change it once, there are hacks to get around that sort of thing.

I've seen quite a few movies use MPEG4 and I think the extra 10 gigs still makes it more future proof.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:16:15 am »
I never looked into it because regions never affect me, but you should be able to get most blu-ray players in a PC to run any region. Even if windows only lets you change it once, there are hacks to get around that sort of thing.

I've seen quite a few movies use MPEG4 and I think the extra 10 gigs still makes it more future proof.

Having to hack something to make it work when it should just work is very anti-consumer, like I said.

I've not seen hardly any movies which use h.264 (MPEG4 Layer-10), most use VC-1. The extra 20 GBs is good, but as an overall package I still maintain HD DVD was better.