RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Ban this filth  (Read 38046 times)

texasboy

Ban this filth
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:00:52 am »
 ???
Have a quick look at this link. A few opinions please.

http://www.virginmedia.com/games/inpictures/controversial-games.php

cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Ban this filth
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:32:54 am »
 :-[ So your allowed to have violence, sex, mature content and everything else under the sun in Books, Music, Films and Art, but not Video games?

Every serious study has shown that games almost always provide a positive impact, I get so tired of these campaigns, they clearly have no understanding of how people interact with them. Fortunately it's a generational thing and in 50 years, people talking about banning computer games will look the same as banning that "Rock n' Roll" music.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline danny251

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:03 am »
Spot on Quantum mate!
It's annoying that people think must be the game. It's mostly people who have never picked up a game in their life I bet you, and don't no fekk all about them.
It's never the person doing the crime its the game. Easier to blame imo thats why the blame is there.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:21:01 pm »
The young ppl of today have no sense of decency, morality, and respect, like wot I had ... [mad]

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:11:40 pm »
The young ppl of today have no sense of decency, morality, and respect, like wot I had ... [mad]

Other than a loss of deference (which is arguably due to the Thatcher government) there's no massive change in the way society functions post-WWII. They've been talking about the downfall of society because of the decadence of the youth since the 60s (and in America since the 50s). Even pre-20th century there's much evidence to suggest that the older generation were worried the younger generation had lost all decency, morality and respect. Also statistically speaking youth crime is historically low levels, but reporting of it is at historically high levels.

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:14:01 am »
While I agree in general that violent/gorey/sex video games can be handled by most of right thinking gamers,you have got to remember that not all of us are of sound mind. Rated 18 doesnt mean a thing these days. Videos are available to children either from the parents or friends. As the following link shows, Islamic terrorists are using modified versions of the games to recuit children to be killers. This is only one of many links available,and security forces throught the world are linking terrorist profiles to the games they play.
http://rokdrop.com/2006/05/07/terrorists-use-video-game-mods-to-recruit-youths/

Open for thought?
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:04:59 am »
While I agree in general that violent/gorey/sex video games can be handled by most of right thinking gamers,you have got to remember that not all of us are of sound mind. Rated 18 doesnt mean a thing these days. Videos are available to children either from the parents or friends. As the following link shows, Islamic terrorists are using modified versions of the games to recuit children to be killers. This is only one of many links available,and security forces throught the world are linking terrorist profiles to the games they play.
http://rokdrop.com/2006/05/07/terrorists-use-video-game-mods-to-recruit-youths/

Open for thought?
cheers

Do you think people who are not "right thinking gamers" are specifically affected by gaming? I mean, if someone can't handle sex / violence etc.. you think they are going to be more moved by a game than an emotive piece of literature? Film? Real world event? If I was a child in some country like Iraq, I'd probably be more susceptible to say American bombers blowing up my house and killing my family in front of me than an 8 year old looking computer game that I played for a bit of fun.

What makes games so special?

Yes, terrorist use modified game? They also use book, films, art etc.. should any of these curbed as a whole, the general freedom of speech denied because some fringe groups use the same form of media? What's amusing is that they think this is some new sophisticated method of using computer games, not only does al-Qaeda use 8+ year old game technology to do this it doesn't compare to the level of sophistication that governments use games to spread messages and propaganda, the Chinese and American governments being particularly guilty of this, the most prominent example being America's Army

Profiling has been done on criminals and terrorists for at least a hundred years, just because gaming is a new media which it's been done in doesn't make it special. What is unexpected about this?

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:15:37 am »
Basically , these games in the wrong hands are killing innocent people. (on any side )
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:15 am »
Basically , these games in the wrong hands are killing innocent people. (on any side )
cheers

Only in the same way that language, mathematics and books are killing innocent people.

They're not directly responsible in anyway at all and their effect is minimal compared to EVERY other form of media. And neither is it games that are commercially available in this country we're talking about.

texasboy

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:08:41 am »
cheers

They're not directly responsible in anyway at all and their effect is minimal

Minimal is in the the eye of the beholder. Try telling that to an innocent Arab family who has just had 90% of their loved ones blown up by a brainwashed child/woman who was trying to target some one else. The boss wont give his life while he has others to do it for him.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:14 am »
cheers

They're not directly responsible in anyway at all and their effect is minimal

Minimal is in the the eye of the beholder. Try telling that to an innocent Arab family who has just had 90% of their loved ones blown up by a brainwashed child/woman who was trying to target some one else. The boss wont give his life while he has others to do it for him.
cheers

I'm telling you a game wasn't directly responsible for that, nor probably responsible at all. Plus an arab is probably more likely to get blown up by an American or an Israeli anyway.

The religious texts such as the Bible and the Qu'ran on the other hand are probably more responsible for 100s of millions of deaths at a bare minimum, probably billions! Why don't we ban them?

But the thing is, your not even talking about some specific, so let's talk about the media of the written word, it's absolutely responsible for billions of deaths and in a much more direct way than any video game has ever been, why don't we drastically curtail it?

texasboy

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:02 am »
We are probably talking along the same lines.
It`s the religious fanatics over centuries that have used the bible/Qu`ran,and now video games to wipe out millions of people/ races, The books/games were not intended for death,but the interpretation of these by irrational leaders seeking power over the common people has gone far beyond that. I have said in many past posts that religion wrongly interpretated has been one of the cruelist killers of the human race. Some are starting to see some sense while others just want to kill to be in charge of their people.
cheers
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:32:48 am by texasboy »

heywood

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:38:35 pm »
cheers

im sorry but if someone can be swayed by a video game they can be swayed by other types of persuasion.

take away video games and you still get terrorists and suicide bombers.

texasboy

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 05:55:57 am »
cheers

im sorry but if someone can be swayed by a video game they can be swayed by other types of persuasion.

take away video games and you still get terrorists and suicide bombers.
Hi heywood.
Would you not agree that modern technology has made it easier for fanatics to get to the young ones in their society. ie. you hand over a video that has been altered to show good over evil to a young person when in fact it is evil over good. A percentage of these teenagers will run with the idea and think they are doing the right thing for the "cause" and kill/maim anyone that happens to be on site.
We are all surely aware that random killings are against moral calls from any religion. All religions have been guilty over the centuries of horrific acts of violence. But why in this 21st century do we still have clerics who wish to take us back to pagan days.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 08:13:15 am »
Would you not agree that modern technology has made it easier for fanatics to get to the young ones in their society. ie. you hand over a video that has been altered to show good over evil to a young person when in fact it is evil over good.

I would not

A percentage of these teenagers will run with the idea and think they are doing the right thing for the "cause" and kill/maim anyone that happens to be on site.

None that wouldn't have been swayed by a fanatical speech

We are all surely aware that random killings are against moral calls from any religion. All religions have been guilty over the centuries of horrific acts of violence. But why in this 21st century do we still have clerics who wish to take us back to pagan days.

Same reason we have politicians that want to take us back to "Victorian Values", most people are generally not that clever or rational.