Forums > Music - Movies - TV

Is blu-ray worth the extra costs?

(1/3) > >>

MinLo:
I know Blu-Rays better quality but for current Blu-ray owners do you think it's worth the extra costs?.........What do people think of the BR futures here?Do ya think it will fail to become the dvd? Or do you think it will have a stronghold on the market one day? ???

I almost bought a PS3 before I purchased my 360 because of Blu-Ray........It's just too much of a price difference from dvd players/disc's.......

I'm starting to see players for $200 and I'm tempted to buy one provided it's compatible with the newest profile.....
I looked around 3 months ago for Blu-Ray drives for computers but they were just as expensive as console ones and didn't have the ability to burn yet... Besides the empty BR disc were so darn expensive....I'm gonna have to look again especially with Black Friday coming up......

fuzzytomcat:

--- Quote from: MinLo on November 19, 2008, 06:20:19 am ---I know Blu-Rays better quality but for current Blu-ray owners do you think it's worth the extra costs?.........What do people think of BR future here?Do ya think it will fail to become the dvd? Or do you think it will have a stronghold on the market one day? ???

I almost bought a PS3 before I purchased my 360 because of Blu-Ray........It's just to much of a price difference from dvd players/disc's.......

I'm starting to see players for $200 and I'm tempted to buy one provided it's compatible with the newest profile.....
I looked 3 months ago for Blu-Ray drives for computers but they were just as expensive as console ones and didn't have the ability to burn yet... Besides the empty BR disc were so darn expensive....I'm gonna have to look again especially with Black Friday coming up......

--- End quote ---

Hey MinLo,

If you get a Sony PS3 it has Blu-Ray right but with the Linux "Yellow Dog" open source program   http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1150.0  together for the $399.00 kinda is a good deal for what you get ..... a computer and a game platform.

Fuzzy
 ;D

MinLo:

--- Quote from: fuzzytomcat on November 19, 2008, 11:32:53 am ---Hey MinLo,

If you get a Sony PS3 it has Blu-Ray right but with the Linux "Yellow Dog" open source program   http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1150.0  together for the $399.00 kinda is a good deal for what you get ..... a computer and a game platform.

Fuzzy
 ;D

--- End quote ---

My girlfriend would die laughing at me if i said we were gonna buy a PS3.......I've spent $1100 on the 360, PSP, and Wii in the last year......And within the next two years I need her to okay a new computer.... :D
Besides I have a computer and the next computer I buy will either a laptop or I'm gonna take a stab at building a computer myself......
The PS3 and 360 are pretty much the same for my gaming needs.......

I was asking more of what anyone's opinion is on the quality vs price when comparing dvd's and bluray......Like more along the lines of is it worth the extra $15-20 per disc to view it in bluray.......
Like I stated above I've seen bluray models that were $200........
$200 is still $50 more than what I wanna pay but I wanna hear what others have to say to make a final decision.......
Chip's forums have influenced some of my electronic/computer purchases in the past and I have always appreciated the feedback I have received when asking questions......

fuzzytomcat:

--- Quote from: MinLo on November 19, 2008, 04:29:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: fuzzytomcat on November 19, 2008, 11:32:53 am ---Hey MinLo,

Fuzzy
 ;D

--- End quote ---

My girlfriend would die laughing at me if i said we were gonna buy a PS3.......I've spent $1100 on the 360, PSP, and Wii in the last year......And within the next two years I need her to okay a new computer.... :D
Besides I have a computer and the next computer I buy will either a laptop or I'm gonna take a stab at building a computer myself......
The PS3 and 360 are pretty much the same for my gaming needs.......

I was asking more of what anyone's opinion is on the quality vs price when comparing dvd's and bluray......Like more along the lines of is it worth the extra $15-20 per disc to view it in bluray.......
Like I stated above I've seen bluray models that were $200........
$200 is still $50 more than what I wanna pay but I wanna hear what others have to say to make a final decision.......
Chip's forums have influenced some of my electronic/computer purchases in the past and I have always appreciated the feedback I have received when asking questions......

--- End quote ---

Hi MinLo,

I think really unless you have a 1080i resolution 40" minimum HDTV bluray is a waste of money  ;)

Fuzzy

MinLo:
I have a 37" 1080i.....So I'm probably good with dvd due to very little chance in noticing the difference?
With my 360 it will upconvert it to 1080P if I select it through the 360 menu but when I set the 360 to auto select it ends up 768p.....
When I watch local tv in 1080i, it looks nice.......
Is it normal for HD tvs that are rated 1080i to be able to upconvert to 1080p? Or when the 360/Bluray player upconverts is really 1080p?http://

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version