Forums > Computers - Technology

Firewall Software

<< < (3/4) > >>

Exous:
I prefer a good router, but when it comes to a firewall or full security kit that doesn't take too much of your resources I don't advice Norton (also because it's like a 300 MB install I think), Zone Alarm on the other hand is small, quick and effective, not to say not too high in using your resources.
I myself game alot so I prefer as less resource draining applications as possible, so I got the mixture of AVG free and Router firewall, makes my PC alot faster  ;D

RiffRaff:
I bought Zonealarm (Antivirus and Firewall) It ran like a dream for about 3 month.   Then crashed my computer over and over.
No help from ZoneAlarm, they said I had something on my computer causing ZoneAlarm to crash.  :(

Now I've got Avast and Windows Firewall.

fuzzytomcat:
Firewall Software and Firewall Routers with VPN Endpoint are both a good starting point "because" if someone is pretty good at hacking  ::) and hell bent on getting inside they can and will, especially from countries such as China, Uruguay, Venezuela and alike even Russia have people hackin all day emune from US laws. So my best solution is lock-out IP address groups ie:  24.232.0.0 thru 24.232.255.255, 61.48.0.0 thru 61.48.255.255, 62.62.128.0 thru 62.62.144.255, 80.15.37.0 thru 80.15.37.255 got the idea, if you have problems in a certain area and you don't go there "lock-um out". I kinda have compiled a list from the past 8 years of touchie spots of the world but it can have some limitatons but not many.  ;D

moggy:
I use 2 dlink routers and Nod32 3.0.642.0    antivirus  spywareblaster 4.0 and hyperos runiing tinyxp pro rev6. and all my browsing is sandboxed .

fuzzytomcat:

--- Quote from: moggy on May 07, 2008, 04:13:42 am ---I use 2 dlink routers and Nod32 3.0.642.0    antivirus  spywareblaster 4.0 and hyperos runiing tinyxp pro rev6. and all my browsing is sandboxed .

--- End quote ---

Sandboxing is a great way to stop most all hacking. Just remember to check your firewall reports every once in a while to see if anything is trying to get inside past what you have set up, most firewalls keep the information recorded but won't display whats happening by program defaults. If you see a IP address that looks fishy check it out a good tool for look-up is DNSstuff and its free. (I also use this sometimes on my torrent client you would be surprised where some files are located)  ;D

http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php?ptype=free

Hope the link works for you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version