RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Feature Requests...  (Read 10568 times)

savaden

Feature Requests...
« on: July 07, 2008, 02:36:44 am »
Hi, Chip. I had a few ideas regarding the UI of BitChe. I've made a screenshot of what I'm talking about. It includes the addition of easy-to-understand icons to liven the interface up a bit. The icons are vista-style and represent "Start search", "New tab", and one to replace the current "Close tab". Also, instead of a button for the media type, I think it would make more sense for there to be a drop down menu.

Aside from that, I'd also like to suggest a "Stop search" function...whether represented by an icon, or available via right-click menu on specific tab. This would stop the present ongoing search if it were a)taking too long for dial-up users b)a mistaken search phrase c)other user specific reasons.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Requests...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:58 am »
It would be nice to have a very recognisable "new tab" button  :)

However, if icons are introduced, it'd be nice to have localized tooltips for them as well.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »
So get yer finger out Chip  :D

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:48:54 am »
hi savaden, ltns :)

some interesting ideas! thank you for your input.. let me respond to each of the changes:

search box: 
i like the icons added inside this and it should be easy for me to add

search button:
i would probably want to get a few more peoples input before i am fully on board that a switch to icon based 'search' button is better than a standard button, and im thinking along the lines of which is more intuitive. i'm not opposed, but it would then get rid of the current 'start search in a new tab' side button, which would be a slight loss in functionality. not a big deal because i would imagine only a few people do not have the option turned on to auto open the searches in new tabs.

new tab button:
i like it, no problem i can see with that.

category box:
probably a smart move to change it to the a normal drop down combo box, and more intuitive than the current button, but i wonder if it costs slight minimalist/cleanness factor from the current simple design?

close tab icon:
i could go with vista-styled navy/royal blue icons for the individual tabs and red for the 'close all tabs'.. just to show some color difference to match the functionality difference.

other proposed GUI changes TODO list:

stop button:
the current 'search' button changes to a 'stop' button for the current tab. however, if we go with icons, then i think it would make sense to add a big 'X' (like what internet browsers use) next to the search icon. and maybe even add another icon to 'Refresh current tab search' ?

listview:
i am almost done coding a new listview that has both XP and Vista theme support. the only problem is that i cant get it to 'sort' as fast as the standard MS listview. so that change might not be ready for a while.

localized tooltips:
needs to happen with the next release.. I should have already included support for it  ;)

ok...lets get some more feedback here with these changes.  :)
thanks!
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:43:40 am »
Is is worth putting 'BIT CHE Guevara, or guevara edition' for those who have got it?...might encourage more ppl to get guevara...in the blue box on top of the page.

savaden

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:48 am »
Oops...I had a "bonehead" moment regarding the "stop search" availability. I guess I just never realized it being there..lol. Thanks, chip!

I completely understand what you mean about the "start search in new tab" side arrow button. I'm all about minimalistic UI's...but I also think easy-to-understand icons help with this instead of text (and you get the eye-candy bonus). Your points on the search button have made me second-guess my original post now though. Perhaps there is another way to represent with icons. My original intent with the screenshot was the green arrow replacing "search" obviously...and the new tab icon replacing the arrow button. I wasnt even thinking along the lines of "new blank tab", which, from my understanding, is only avail. via right-click in tab area...?

You've made some really great points, chip. I'll try some other layouts.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:04:27 pm »
Both Firefox and IE use magnifying glasses as their search icon.

And speaking of making it more "browser like" it would be awesome if middle click had the same functionality as in browsers, i.e:

Middle Click Search Button = Open Search in New Tab
Middle Click Tab = Close that Tab
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

xxivxxv

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:41 am »
i'm with savaden.  i like all his suggestions and i think his layout is very intuitive.  i don't think people will have a hard time with it at all.  in fact i think it would make the software that much more of a desired download.