RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (soon to be Firefox 3.5)  (Read 38931 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (soon to be Firefox 3.5)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »
i'm using Google Chrome these days. its the fastest, and until IE9 and FF4 are ready, its the most secure.

although, I am very interested in seeing both IE9 and FF4 in their final form. great competition for sure!
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »
I'm getting use to Opera, I know this veers off the topic so don't shoot me Syn. The browsers I use are more  inline with the internet package I have with Roadrunner.

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:53 pm »
I'm running opera 11 as well.

chip, if you're looking for a secure browser there are some based off chrome that implement more security such as comodo's browser. http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php
There's another one too but the name of it is escaping me right now. If you like and use chrome, you might like them.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
to be honest, the only security I really care about is preventing my browser from getting hi-jacked/exploited.. and thus infecting my pc.

i took a quick look at the comodo dragon internet and here's the run-down on features:
Comodo Dragon Security:
-Has privacy enhancements that surpass those in Chromium's technology
-Has Domain Validation technology that identifies and segregates superior SSL certificates from inferior ones
-Stops cookies and other Web spies
-Prevents all Browser download tracking to ensure your privacy

so basically, all it's enhancing is 'privacy'.. (i really dont care about cookies, etc). but I can understand people that do..

BUT, in terms of security, what I love about Google Chrome is the advanced sandbox. and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Google Chrome is the only browser to do a secure sandbox on WinXP (and its even better on Win7).  

IE 8 sorta does a sandbox on Win7, but its was exploited at a hackcon. I'm not sure where FireFox is with their sandbox, but last time I checked (a year ago?), it was not fully sandboxed on Win7.

to my knowledge, FF4 and IE9 promised much better sandbox security. I have no idea about Opera, but something tells me Opera is just as good as Chrome, being that its always the underdog that seems to outperform.

I would love to be updated and/or corrected on where the major browsers are on security.

ps, another nice feature of Google Chrome is that they embed adobe flash and auto-update it. so, I know if I set a friend up with Google Chrome, they are not going to be getting exploited by a 1 year old Adobe Flash vulnerability.

and..  in case any reads this wondering what a sandbox is...  basically,  the browser runs and locks the webpages in a separate memory space, in a vault. nothing can come out of the vault and on to the computer without your permission, so even if the website does some exploit to hijack a plugin, its still locked inside the memory space vault/sandbox and can not reach your computer. (really lame description)
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Re: Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 (soon to be Firefox 4)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 06:58:19 am »
Firefox has now released 4, after beta and rc releases they still haven't found fixes for many add-ons. I like Firefox and the fact that I can adjust my own browser security settings not just within the browser but within Windows. Anyhoo I will not upgrade yet!

If anybody uses WindowWasher have you noticed how the settings in WW are altered after upgrading to Firefox 4? The scan will skip all Mozilla settings and all Window settings. I uninstalled FF4 and and reinstalled WW, now no problems.

TheHalf™

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:57 pm »
I would love to be updated and/or corrected on where the major browsers are on security.

ps, another nice feature of Google Chrome is that they embed adobe flash and auto-update it. so, I know if I set a friend up with Google Chrome, they are not going to be getting exploited by a 1 year old Adobe Flash vulnerability.

and..  in case any reads this wondering what a sandbox is...  basically,  the browser runs and locks the webpages in a separate memory space, in a vault. nothing can come out of the vault and on to the computer without your permission, so even if the website does some exploit to hijack a plugin, its still locked inside the memory space vault/sandbox and can not reach your computer. (really lame description)

I have researched this and there is a method to PREvent memory coding within IE8 (not9), Firefox(all v) and Chrome. All you need to do is type in (said) code to browser URL and click enter.

TheHalf™