Author Topic: Cider  (Read 11087 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Cider
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:25:00 pm »
After some travels over to the UK and sampling the ciders over there, I am a bit saddened that here in the States, we do not have many "cider" options. Obviously this is because, bars here mostly only stock beers. But also, there is not much "demand" for ciders here. Until I went and sampled some amazing ciders myself, I never knew what I was missing.

For all of your UK'ers, what are good ciders?  I have done some initial searching and have found that ciders in your pubs have often been subject to the same laws that effect our beers here..  marketing/budgets=increased product placement... even IF it is a worse product. 

Over here in the USA, I have only been able to find Aspall, Blackthorn, and Strongbow imported. What are your opinions on those?  I personally tend to like dry.. non-sugary, and strong cider.

And lastly, I am considering learning how to make cider myself.  Yes, I love cider.  Who has tips or suggestions in this area?

cheers!
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Cider
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:24 am »
Chip.....the best cider is the small distillers cider made in counties in UK like Somerset where most of our apples grow.Their produce is usually called 'Scrumpy' and a litre bottle will see all but, seasoned scrumpy drinkers, pissed as a fart.
The Bulmers and Strongbow etc, is the normal weak 'witch piss' that all mass producers turn out.
One of my favourite local pub drinks is a 'snakebite' this is half a pint of cider and half a pint of  bitter beer mixed. Three or four pints of this drink and i will fight anybody .........[boxing]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:20:53 am by billyfridge »

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:58:58 am »
i am a regular cider drinker. but as Billy says its hard to get the natural home grown product. Magners cider is one of the highest ranked on a commercial basis,but I find it too sweet.
Cider varies from 4.4 to 7.5% but the best is still from a local village source in south of England. But obviously a lot of people when they get older just need a cold drink.lol
tks
MAN U eat your heart out.
CHELSEA is here to sort your problems

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:02:46 am »
i am a regular cider drinker. but as Billy says its hard to get the natural home grown product. Magners cider is one of the highest ranked on a commercial basis,but I find it too sweet.
Cider varies from 4.4 to 7.5% but the best is still from a local village source in south of England. But obviously a lot of people when they get older just need a cold drink.lol
tks

L hope you are not insinuating that Chip is 'old' Chelseaboy :o

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:02 am »
lol. Chip is an old Beach Boy from California  and wouldnt know what a good drink was. All imported,Chevas Regal Bushmills,but has a nice bourbon  Jack Daniels from Tennessee, which I have been known to sample.lol
tks

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:20:39 am »
you seem to know Chip very well for a 'newbie' Chelseaboy....lol

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:24:59 am »
I have learned to blend in to various forums in my newbie status.It helps for you lazy ones to start answering more posts. lol

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
I have learned to blend in to various forums in my newbie status.It helps for you lazy ones to start answering more posts. lol
well you know what a lazy git i am....he he he

Offline death

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:42 pm »
Chip i hear this stuff is pretty good its made in Vermont. I never tried it but that is another story.

WOODCHUCK CIDER <<<click