Author Topic: Vista problems  (Read 9068 times)

texasboy

Vista problems
« on: October 02, 2006, 08:46:44 am »
Thought you might like to read this.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5399534.stm
cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Vista problems
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:34:55 am »
Weird.... I have no problem with Microsoft locking down the kernel and keeping 3rd parties out of it.. maybe I'm missing something, but if they keep that secure then there would be no reason for 3rd parties to be accessing it... and even if access was granted, that just opens up the door for virus/trojans to hijack it, much like WinXP... 

any other thoughts?
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

bosoxfan

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 01:01:16 pm »
I don't see why McAfee has a problem with microsoft eliminating the need for their product... ::)

Then again, I agree that it would be great if antivirus protection could come with windows...but could they really ban 3rd party programs?  And is this a good idea even if possible?

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:33:57 pm »
Microsoft is not eliminating the need for anti-virus products. What they are doing is locking the Kernel, most virus' do not embed themselves in the Kernel but because anti-virus products do it allows them to destroy the virus' even if they are running process.

Windows XP has suffered many security attacks and I can't think of any that have got on to the computer because the Kernel was open, just some particularly nasty ones that take over the Kernel when they do, which if you have proper security precautions shouldn't happen. I completely do not trust Microsoft to be the only company to run security on Vista, I believe some kind of security API needs opening for Vista so that other anti-virus programs can work on Vista as well.

If Vista eliminated the need for Virus scanners that would be brilliant, but Microsoft don't seem to think that will be the case otherwise they wouldn't be packing Vista with their own anti-Virus program. Instead they just want to take over the market and are using their OS to kill off other companies.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:10:01 am »
 ;D
A little bit of spoof to help you make your mind up.lol

http://news.com.com/5208-12-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=20671&messageID=179079&start=-186

enjoy
cheers

sbaynard

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:51:24 pm »
It's time like this I'm glad I use a Mac.  :)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:17:32 pm »
Oh, so people know, Microsoft obviously read my post because a week or so later they introduced a security API  :)

They're also now playing fair with their virus scanner and it's now an optional install.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."