Author Topic: Has Vista been cracked?  (Read 16745 times)

texasboy

Has Vista been cracked?
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:56:26 am »
Thought you might want to check this out
http://www.pureoverclock.com/story.php?id=999
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Has Vista been cracked?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:53:49 am »
This latest crack is interesting because it actually screws up Microsoft's existing system. Essentially Vista is cracked through brute force, sending as many possible keys to Microsoft's activation server, this will make any legitimate keys found become illegitimate, meaning people will install Vista and find that it won't activate.

My advice is to seriously hold off buying Vista till at least the end of the year, not because of this problem specifically, just due to lots of problems, ranging from early OS bugs to support for old hardware (particularly devices you connect up, like Palmtops), also if you can Vista at the same time you get new hardware, you'll likely find it a much smoother transition. New Chipsets, new CPUs and new Graphics cards are all much better and more reliable than they used to be, so you'll have a much nicer experience.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:46:50 pm »
Hopefully they'll fix this stupid high definition protection crap... I've seen so many complaints about high def. monitors not working.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 01:23:45 am »
Hopefully they'll fix this stupid high definition protection crap... I've seen so many complaints about high def. monitors not working.

I dunno, but AnyDVD HD removes all the encryption off HD DVDs. I think the crap is here to stay and people who are downloading the stuff won't have to suffer and people who are legitimately buying it will have to suffer through it.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:20:01 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong Quantum....you are saying get a new or updated PC before installing Vista, when it's ready.....what do you think the minimum specs should be??

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:19:53 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong Quantum....you are saying get a new or updated PC before installing Vista, when it's ready.....what do you think the minimum specs should be??
That's pretty much what I'm saying, if you want to buy a computer at some point in the future, wait off on Vista and get it with that computer.

Minimum specs to run smoothly:

1 GB of RAM
AMD 3800+ X2 or above / very high end pentium 4 / very good pentium m / Core 2 Duo E6xxx or above
nVidia 7300 or above (i.e a good 6800 is quite a bit better than a 7300, but a 6200 with 256MB isn't worth the money at all)

That will keep your OS running smooth with full graphics features, higher specs if you want to play high end games.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 03:00:08 pm »
well.. i still dual boot into Vista RC2 with my laptop:  core 2 duo 2 T7200, 2 gb ram, ge force 7200 (128mb, but vista allocates up to 512 mb virtual)..    and Vista still performs very nicely for me.. actually noticed a HUGE increase of speed and responsiveness of Vista when I upgraded to the 7200rpm harddrive..  but also i should note that proper drivers for my video card also came out so its impossible for me to compare exactly which had the biggest impact, but in any case, Vista RC2 is great on my laptop and I have heard that the RPM (final) of Vista is even better...    yet, I havent tested the final yet...   

anyone test out Vista Final yet? (or the crack? :P)

edit side note:   I just realized that with my 5400rpm harddrive, Vista only allocated ~368mb virtual ram and with the 7200rpm it does about 512mb..  again I'm not 100% certain it was only the harddrive that made the difference, but it would make more sense for Vista to increase the virtual memory of a graphics hard if the harddrive is faster..   and also, I do have to admit that I think Vista does a superior job of managing hardware resources than Win XP does.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 03:03:25 pm by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 10:46:10 pm »
I'm probably going to get Vista final towards the end of this year, I was planning on getting a new computer, I was going to get native quad core, 4 GB of RAM, the latest in Graphics cards and a wide screen monitor (been putting off monitors because I have a CRT and I want something with more pixels that won't cost me an arm and a leg, mine is on 1600 x 1200, so I want something with at least 1920 x 1200).

Also I would like to use this new DisplayPort interface or whatever the winning DVI derivative is, but essentially if I get something with a nice resolution (2560 x 1600) I don't want to have to use 2 cables to max out resolution.

Vista should look really pretty on all of that  :D

texasboy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:56:55 am »
 ;D It is getting better.
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=7675
Might wait for a while ::)  The news is a little bit old, but worth a read.                                                    cheers
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:29:08 am by texasboy »

Offline olddays1

• Convivea News Anchor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:44:54 am »
Microsoft monitoring Vista OEM hacks.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9369.cfm

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 08:32:39 am »
 ;D Interesting olddays1.
Wonder if there are any hackers on that forum? lol.
cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:16:10 am »
hmmmm... that article only made me want to go ahead and try it... since it seemed to indicate that MS only wants to curb widespread counterfeiting of Vista... where people can sell fake retail versions of Vista... but they dont seem to care too much about the random person here or there that wants to spend a little while manually cracking a version of Vista...

i'm still dual booting Vista RC2 and Windows XP...  actually, i dunno if my Vista RC2 has expired yet or not.. been hanging out in XP for the past month.. hmmm
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline olddays1

• Convivea News Anchor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 08:42:45 am »
Pirates offer up fully cracked Vista on Internet.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9753.cfm

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:53 am »
Who cares its just XP with a Flashy style and Stacks of DRM & Forced Driver signing

Everyone should boycott Vista

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:10:15 am »
Who cares its just XP with a Flashy style and Stacks of DRM & Forced Driver signing

Everyone should boycott Vista

I was using Vista back in its Beta and RC days and there are quite a few features I like about it. DirectX10 will eventually force me to go there, because I love my games...