RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Laptop data. Urgent help needed  (Read 10993 times)

texasboy

Laptop data. Urgent help needed
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:07:00 am »
Quantum, I know your aware of my problem with daughters Toshiba A100306. Trying to boot up but keeps coming back to b/w boot up screen. None of the options work(safe mode/last good/normal start up etc). Just keeps repeating this sequence.There is a very brief flash of the dreaded blue screen. I have the Toshiba formatt disk which I can use to wipe the HD clean and start from scratch. Will probably end up doing this but my question is. Is there any soft ware/hardware that will allow me to transfer personal photos and docs from the doomed laptop to a desk top pc? given the fact that the laptop wont boot.
Its still under warranty, and I just spoke with the tech people and they will probably will formatt if I send it to them.
Can get into settings using F2 but even resetting to defaults has no effect.

Any more thoughts folks.
Ony way I got out of this tonight was to give daughter the wireless key code for her phone.lol So at least someone is temporarily happy.

HELP
cheers

texasboy

Re: Laptop data. Urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:29:48 am »
PS. Opening the case would void the warranty, whereas formatting doesnt.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:12:40 am »
The only way I can think that might help you out, without taking the hard drive out of your case, is by running a live Linux CD. Download something like Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Burn it to CD and boot from your laptop, you can run the whole OS without writing anything to the hard drive or formatting it. In the mean time go on the help forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/ explain your situation and ask if it's possible to use the live CD, assuming the hard drive is o.k, to access the hard drive and copy the data to another computer. It might be a bit technical, but I reckon you've got a good shot if it's just windows crashing and not the hard drive dying.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:59 am »
LiveCD is probably the best option here.. you could copy your pictures / music, etc  off onto a USB Thumb drive or something..

but some other random thoughts:

if there is no 'seal' to break when removing the HDD, which on Laptops usually they have direct access from the bottom... then that would be probably the quickest and easiest solution to copy all of your files off. you could get an external USB drive enclosure and plug the hdd into your other computer..

but if there is a seal, then..

will the Toshiba restore disk not let you do a 'repair installation' option?  i would put the disk in and see if you have any options other than just the full re-format..  from the menu that comes up, see if you can get into a Windows Repair Console, usually press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

also, if you are able to maybe press the PAUSE button before your computer automatically retarts, are you able to read what the error message is?

if you could find that out, there's always a chance you could repair the bootup without needing to reinstall Windows..  for example, the type of error you are describing is common with Windows Registry errors and if this is the case, then we could give you more advanced steps for restoring the Registry from automatic Windows Backups... etc
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:28:42 am »
Many thanks to both of you Quantum/Chip

As i post I am downloading ubuntu Takes this old pc abt 45 min to download the 697mb.
Pause doesnt stop blue screen to see error.
HD is available without seal and this may be the way to go. Although I am not too worried about attempting this myself(got how to video off web) I am trying to preserve warranty and can get the transfers for £29 from PC World(Katrina paying of course.lol). Spoke with Toshiba Europe tonight and they confirmed that it is most likely software conflicts and not hardware. Ran the the recovery disk and found that there is no options for repair.
So in about 15 min will try the cd from ubuntu. I have a bought winxp disk which I originally used for upstairs pc. A little reluctant to use this as a boot up/repair as MS pretty strict about one cd for each pc.
Will let you know shortly
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:04:32 am »
Actually the XP cd as a repair disk may work..

If I remember correctly, XP doesn't ask for a serial until much later in the installation process.

texasboy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:17:53 am »
Actually the XP cd as a repair disk may work..

If I remember correctly, XP doesn't ask for a serial until much later in the installation process.

;D Tks Synbios., yes it probably would have worked, but didnt see your post until tonight.
Quantum, ubuntu would have worked, loaded up ok , but for most people that are used to windows it was slightly alien.lol. Many good programmes on offer and all worked well. Realised I had a lot of Katrinas work saved to family pc. So me being the terrible father for a short while  ;D formatted the hard drive. Updated all the good stuff and she is sitting here tonight updating photo`s from friends etc. I`m not the most popular father, but internet is on and progress is being made.

Thanks for all your help guys.
cheers