Author Topic: Downloaded movies in .zip format?  (Read 24196 times)

Morrick

Downloaded movies in .zip format?
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:35:51 pm »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering about something.  :-\    I downloaded a movie recently (DVD screener of We Own the Night) and it was in .zip format.  When i extracted the folder contents there were three files and a read me file.  The read me file read as follows:

1. Open the .zip Archive in the Movie Directory; You Need 3 Files:

1. extract.exe   This Program Handles the Extraction Process.
   2. moviedata.uha   The Password-Protected Archive File.
   3. UHARC.exe      This Program Extracts UHARC Archives (*.uha)

2. Run extract.exe; this Program Generates Your Password, Runs UHARC.exe, Enters The Password for You, and Extracts the Full-Length Movie.

I have downloaded several movies and never seen this type of process or format.  Is this legitimate? ??? ??? ???

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Downloaded movies in .zip format?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:18:13 am »
i doubt it... anything out of the ordinary, or with special programs you have to run to extract are usually a fun little trojan/backdoor/adware loader...  even if it might work and extract, you probably will end up with something else you didnt want :)

i would hold off on it since virus scanners might not even pick up on it yet.. 

also, a good idea would be to check out the source page and see if there are comments from other users.

oh, and welcome to the forums :)
-chip
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Morrick

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:16:05 am »
Thanks for the heads up Chip and thanks also for welcoming me to the forums. 

I checked out the source page - Torrent Reactor -  and then found the comments section.  It turns out that this is a fake torrent.  One of the people that commented said that their virus scanner was going wild while scanning the files.

And to think i was almost ready to open the file. PHEW  :o

Exous

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 10:52:13 am »
Most of the times this is to sponsor new (spyware containing) software, alot of piracy is going on on the internet, from stealing credit card info this way to stealing (and selling away) your World of Warcraft account.
A good advice is always to google for the sort of file, for example google for .bin and you find out it's a image file (didnt knew that a few years ago, but google has all the answers).
Normally password protected series/movies have a readme file with the password attached in the torrent, or you need to register on the trackers website or stuff like that, most of the times there are enough non protected files.
Always smart to download more torrents of the same file and always scan them first before opening with your anti virus!

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:56 am »
I'm glad you never actually opened the files. I never open sketchy .exe files.

Also note there's rarely anything winrar or winace can't extract by themselves.

The most frustrating thing for me is when you download a zip and then it says you have to go to a site to get the password to open it. BS!

Offline MaximiianBlick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 02:55:13 am »
These institutions are having very good infrastructure. This is the reason why students look towards India for better higher education. There are some expert institutions also as per http://lovebelfast.co.uk/assignment-help/ blog which is providing webinar class facility for the students who want to learn Indian courses.

Offline jimmytp

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 05:13:03 pm »
It's easy to download movies in zip file. Watching free online movies without signup is not very difficult now; there are many platforms that are providing you with top-notch content without the hurdle of paying bills. Whereas what you must always stay concerned about is where to ดูหนังออนไลน์. Although there are many platforms out there you should trust a reliable one.