RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: PC Tools Antivirus...  (Read 8825 times)

skinny99

PC Tools Antivirus...
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:25:42 am »
 ::) I am now using PC Tools Antivirus. It identified Bit Che as being contaminated with a virus. I have passed this on to the PC Tools people.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: PC Tools Antivirus...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 08:40:31 am »
Probably because there is an "x.exe" in the Bit Che folder, tags it on the name alone. I don't use an anti-virus these days, but I remember it being a problem when I did.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:55:58 am »
I downloaded PC Tools Antivirus to see what the problem was, and apparently it doesnt like the packer used to compress Bit Che, as seen in the attached screen shot.

obviously Bit Che is not infected and there is nothing wrong with using a packer, but its the antivirus product's fault for not being able to handle packers correctly.

if you're interested in using better antivirus technology, here is a thread we have on the forums about some good software: http://www.convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=421.0

thanks for the heads up, hopefully PC Tools Antivirus will get that straightened out asap.
-chip
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:59:04 am by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:19:32 pm »
Chip,

Thank you for contacting PC Tools.

Unfortunately we cannot proceed with your request. PC Tools AntiVirus detects packed files as potential threats as most threats use packers. Since the binary is packed, PC Tools AntiVirus cannot differentiate a legitimate packed file from a malicious packed file.

The detection is just a warning for the user that the file may be dangerous. They have the option to Ignore the file totally.

If you require further assistance on this specific request, please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Jose Grayda
Customer Support Representative
PC Tools Customer Support Services

???  ???  ???

haha, well.. thats the response i got. i guess their software isn't able to properly identify threats vs. non-threats, so i would recommend anyone who is using PC Tools Antivirus use a better/different  antivirus product until futher notice. 
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:24:43 pm »
Well I guess that saves them having to employ a team dedicated to creating unpacking engines like kaspersky do

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:12:04 pm »
...The detection is just a warning for the user that the file may be dangerous. They have the option to Ignore the file totally.
PC Tools Customer Support Services

Haha what the hell. I wonder if they realise the whole reason to use an antivirus is to remove threats... not just be notified that there is a possibility of one?