Author Topic: Microsoft's iPod Killer - Zune  (Read 34298 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Microsoft's iPod Killer - Zune
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:37:14 am »
Not sure if everyone has seen this yet or not, but here is a great article covering the details that we know for sure regarding the new Zune mp3/video player that Microsoft will be releasing before the end of the year..

Source: engadget

What we know (for sure)

Zune is the name of the project, the brand, and the device.
The first Zune device will be launched this year, with more devices to come in 2007.
The Zune brand encompasses not only the device, but the software that will drive it, as well as a music, movie, and media service the Zune device family will use for acquiring, sharing, and discovery of said media. Music will be the first angle of service that is launched, "connected entertainment" being the ultimate goal.

The Zune media service will heavily leverage community aspects and recommendation; emphasis is being placed on using Zune to discover new artists, media, etc.
The Zune media device will be drive-based, and have WiFi.
The Zune brand is intended to be an entirely vertically integrated end-to-end solution, not unlike the iPod / iTunes / iTunes Music Store triumvirate.
The service and device will not be PlaysForSure compliant, meaning you will not be able to use your Zune player with Napster or Vongo, for example. This will be an entirely new system. Microsoft will continue to support and develop for their PlaysForSure initiative, but all things PlaysForSure are handled by two entirely separate division that will not have any crossover.

Zune is under Microsoft's new Entertainment & Devices Division, and is headed by, among others, Robbie Bach, J Allard (Corporate Vice President and Chief XNA Architect), and Bryan Lee (Corporate Vice President and CFO, Entertainment and Devices Division), which accounts for the division of this project from the rest of Microsoft, similar to how the Xbox project was also strictly separated.
The logo we had is, of course, real.
Microsoft's launched the Zune viral marketing site, ComingZune.com. [Thanks, bv]

What we think we know (and are pretty sure of)

They'll be showing off the device by the end of next month, and will aim for a November release.
Microsoft will buy your way out of iTunes in order to convert you to a Zune user.

The Zune will come in multiple colors.
Pyxis is the codename for their nano competitor which would also include video capabilities; Alexandria is the codename for the software that powers the Zune experience.
A Microsoft portable gaming system is in the works, and will be a part of the Zune family. This device should have Xbox Live Anywhere integration. This may or may not be an Xbox co-branded portable, but is probably going to be the portable gaming / media device we've been hearing about for years.
Microsoft's ad campaign will include a Super Bowl commercial.
The Zune will have a bevy of accessories at launch; it'll probably be cheaper for accessory makers to develop for the Zune port than pay the Made For iPod tax.

What we don't yet know

Whether the Zune media service will offer the same kind of all-you-can-eat subscription media services as PlaysForSure media services like Napster and Vongo. Supposedly subscription will be offered, but downplayed in favor of song purchase (which is the opposite of most PlaysForSure services).

Whether you'll actually only be limited to sharing with up to 10 people nearby, as rumored, and that they won't get the protected files, but will "bookmark" them for later purchase.
Exact device specifications for the first Zune device, as well as its price (though we hear it could be as much as $399).
Whether it'll include XM and/or Sirius service as rumored (we doubt it).
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft's iPod Killer - Zune
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:04:35 am »
i want one :)

dinner123

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:38:56 pm »
i want one :)
maybe you wanna read your signature again lol
its not suprising that microsoft has entered this market, it really realy wants to take a chunk out of apples practical monopoly in it. i dont think i think ill be swappng my ipod for one when this comes out, but hope its a success because i like the sound of that xbox portable.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:42:20 am »
hahaha.. yeah but I still cant wait for them to come out. they are putting so much money behind it and i know they will rip them apart and throw linux on the Zunes like they did for iPod.. and with all the built in hardware, like WiFi, the Zune is going to kick ass..  Ad-hoc networking so you can trade mp3s with people nearby you without having to plug it into the computer... thats pretty cool..

Offline DC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:53:33 pm »
i bet it's goin be alot of $
Torrent search made easy. Bit Che.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3719105405.png

dinner123

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:31:57 am »

black looks way better than the white version

deckkeeper

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 06:08:30 am »
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft Corp.'s effort to compete against Apple's iPod juggernaut will focus on the idea that people want to be able to easily share music with friends and others.

The software maker said Thursday that its portable Zune media player, scheduled to be available around the holiday season, will include wireless technology to let people share some of their favorite songs, playlists or pictures with other Zune users who are close by.

Those users can listen to the songs three times over three days before deciding whether to purchase it themselves.

"The idea is to legitimize peer-to-peer sharing in a healthy way that works for everybody," said J Allard, a Microsoft vice president in charge of the Zune product line.

Read the rest of the article at CNN.com.

james007torres24

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:26:09 am »
i pod has been dead to me sence its been out cuz IT SUCKSSS!!!!!!!

texasboy

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 07:11:43 am »
i pod has been dead to me sence its been out cuz IT SUCKSSS!!!!!!!

You may be in the minority on that one James. It is very popular over here in UK. So easy to use ,adding CD`s is a breeze. Most people use them daily on their way to work or school. Already the higher end 32GB or was it 64GB has shown up at my work where thousands of songs and videos are there for the listening.Apple probably are already thinking of the wireless issue,but it has to be right.
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:08:13 pm »
What's so bad about the iPod? How is any other player better? They are still the cheapest for the space, and they're so easy to use!

Offline DC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 10:22:02 am »
What's so bad about the iPod? How is any other player better? They are still the cheapest for the space, and they're so easy to use!

you can just get so much more in a MP3 player at that price...
Torrent search made easy. Bit Che.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3719105405.png

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 05:52:05 pm »
maybe the Zune wouldn't be such an iPod killer after all.. the best feature that I wanted to see was the wifi sharing of music and it sounds like it might be kinda hard to use.. leave it to Microsoft to take a great idea and make it hard to use.. 

maybe in 5 years we'll get a ZuneVista and finally have a decent product. hehe

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:20:23 pm »

you can just get so much more in a MP3 player at that price...

More e.g. space or more as in features?

texasboy

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 07:32:18 am »
Latest news .
Microsoft counts down to Zune launch

Microsoft is preparing to launch its 30 gigabyte Zune, a digital music player to compete with Apple's iconic iPod. (Pic: Reuters)

The device plays songs and videos which owners can download to their PCs via the Zune Marketplace site.

It also has wireless technology which allows owners to send each other songs and pictures. The Zune has a three-inch colour screen and comes in black, brown and white.

Users can either buy tracks individually from the site or get a Zune Pass subscription to download as many songs as they want for a flat fee. The gadgets have been pre-loaded with some initial content from a number of record labels prior to sale.

Zune's global marketing general manager Chris Stephenson said: "On November 14 we're delivering not only a device, but a shared, social experience that will be shaped by the collective imagination of consumers."

The Zune will go on sale in the US on Tuesday priced at $249.99 (£130). No date or price has been set for its UK launch.

© Independent Television News Limited 2006. All rights reserved.
cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 09:17:32 am »
i was really excited for the Zune when the first reports came out about wireless transferring of songs, but now that it seems you can only listen to the song for 3 times, it seems retarded..  i'm probably going to have to wait until the early adopters provide their feedback on the Zune, even though my iPod is ready for a more advanced replacement..