Author Topic: Proposed new tab controls screen shot  (Read 8232 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Proposed new tab controls screen shot
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:39:32 am »
been working hard on implementing a simple yet functional controls for the tabs when there are too many to fit.. here is a screen shot showing 7 tabs, (2 are hidden off to the right, as seen with the tab counter on the right)..

the tab counter and scroll arrows hide as soon as there is enough room to show all of the tabs..

i'm still open to feedback on this, but once I finish up with the basic functionality working, i'll move on to something else. while its important, this certainly wouldnt be used as much as other new features.

and while i wait for any comments, i'm going to go take a break, the logic of when to show/hide a tab based on position and the active tab shown has been hurting my head.. haha.
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed new tab controls screen shot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:37:31 pm »
Yeah, devising a system for when to show multiple tabs is a bit of a pain the ass isn't? I know the Firefox team threw about 40 different versions in the bin before they decided what they liked.

It's quite cool, but a "tab number" for each tab seems a little unprofessional to me, I quite like the tab counter at the far left or right to show how many are to each side though.

If you're scrolling through them, does it show the tab numbers to each side?
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:53:24 pm »
ohhh...  haha, sorry i should have pointed that out, the numbers on the actual tabs are simply just a "search" i used with different numbers so that I could visibly see if my code was hiding/showing the appropriate tabs in order.. so the only numbers you'll see if you have too many tabs open are on the right and left next to the scroll arrow...   and then the number represents how many tabs are to that side, so in the screen shot, there are 0 tabs to the left and you could scroll 2 tabs over to the right..

here's a couple more screen shots showing from full tabs, to making the window smaller and which tabs get hidden first depending on the position of the 'Active' tab..   the scroll arrow button lights up when the mouse is over it as seen in one of the screen shots..

and i am thinking of having a Popup Menu show the Tab Captions for the hidden tabs when you click on the number next to the tab arrow.. that way instead of scrolling over you can click and see which searches are currently hidden..  i think firefox had something like that as well?

yeah... huge pain in the ass for the multiple tabs and since i'm writing all the code from scratch, its been taking forever and hurting my brain a lot, haha. but i am happy right now because i think this design is simple enough and useful enough, and doesnt really affect the aesthetics of Bit Che's GUI by too much..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:55:27 pm by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:36 pm »
Ahhh, that's pretty cool  :)

Yeah Firefox has 3 arrows in total, 1 left arrow to the left and 1 right arrow to the right, that do the same that yours does. Then a down arrow to the far right that opens a pop-down menu showing all the possible tabs you can click on so you don't have to scroll if you don't want.

Well done on the coding, it's pretty cool  :D
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:51:54 pm »
Nice Gr8 work chip