RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Recommended changes for Bit Che  (Read 3231 times)

Axter

Recommended changes for Bit Che
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:08 pm »
For security purposes, the user I normally log on as on my home PC does not have admin rights.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, but I'm pretty sure the following issues is applicable to Vista as well.
I installed Bit Che with Admin user, and selected option to have it accessible to all users.

I believe all below issues are related to above install configuration settings.

Issue#1
When I run Bit Che from my non-admin user, it fails to work, in that it doesn't show any results when it does a search.  It also doesn't give any errors, or any indication as to why it's failing.
To get it to work, I have to right click Bit Che under the Start menu, and select "Run As Administrator".

Recommended Solution (#1):
When install program creates shortcut in the start menu, have it created with the option to "Run as administrator".
See below links for settings details:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/always-start-an-application-in-administrator-mode-on-windows-vista/

Issue#2
When I click open torrent on selected item, nothing happens.  I believe the program is opening the torrent in the context of the admin user, and if the admin user is not logged on, or doesn't have file association with the torrent file extension, nothing happens.

Recommended Solution (#2):
Have option to let Bit Che perform open action with currently logged on user, instead of admin user.  This is also much safer approach.

Issue#3
When Browser is not already open, and user select "Open Page" option for Torrent Details windows, the browser gets open under the Admin user context, and not the currently logged on user context.
This can be easily tested by changing the home page for the Admin user to be different from home page of logged on user, and when you click HOME option, you'll see it go to the home page associated with the admin user.

Recommended Solution (#3):
Bit Che should always open browser under context of logged on user.
See following API's for details on impersonation  implementation:
LogonUser
ImpersonateLoggedOnUser
RevertToSelf

FYI:
A general fix for all above issues, would be to change Bit Che so it doesn't need administrative privileges to begin with.  I use uTorrent for downloading torrents, and it doesn't need admin privileges.
I don't think there's anything Bit Che is doing which should require admin rights.  I suspect it's accessing a folder or registry path that's out side of the user's context, and that's what's causing admin privilege requirement.
I recommend changing the logic, so all access is within the user's context.  This would make the program saver to use in general.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended changes for Bit Che
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:09 am »
thanks for the input. you actually saved me a lot of time here. I know there are some issues related to Windows 7 and the way it handles legacy programs and the default paths, etc.

I think the reason it was needing admin priv was related to self-updating, the scripts and a few other componets that Bit Che uses. I have significantly reduced these with Bit Che 2.0 and I would love to tackle the areas you have highlighted.  Note, that uTorrent does not do any self-updating (as it does not have "scripts", but when it does update through the Setup/Installer, you do need admin privs).

But thanks again, I look forward to figuring out the best practice here.
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.