Author Topic: Never-ending download? 99.9%?!  (Read 25447 times)

Digitron

Never-ending download? 99.9%?!
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:43:12 am »
Dear Convivea users,

I am a relatively new user of Bit Che. I have downloaded and shared few files and already I have encountered some unsatisfying results that make me think of finding some other place for sharing files.
The thing that I don’t understand (reason: not that experienced with P2P) is how a game, for instance “Quake Wars” is listed and offered from different sources and non of them could pass 99.9% download.

I tried:    Quake Wars:   - devil
      - Reloaded.iso
      - Reloaded.bin
      - PROPER-CLONE CD
      - [PC][DVD][Multi5]

They all stopped at 99.9% for many days.

The question: Why is there something for sharing that can not be used? Why isn’t there an option when clicking at source or download name where people can directly write or ling to place where people write and comment that particular download. So everybody spending days of downloading would know that it has no sense.

Can anyone please advice or write any suggestions to my problem?  ???

Thank you for your time.

Greetings,

Digitron

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Re: Never-ending download? 99.9%?!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:59:38 am »
Make sure that there are seeds, people who have 100% of the torrent.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 10:28:52 am »
Convivea doesn't support copyright infringement, so we're going to assume you own the game and are just downloading it for backup purposes.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Digitron

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 10:37:32 am »
Thank you for your reply!  ;)

By looking at: Torrent info --> Peer List and looking at “% complete” I think I saw only one having 100%. All other many peers had 99.9%. Now after some time when I reached 99.9% there are no more peers. No more “up rate” (up-loaders). Nothing!
I tried downloading from other sources with same result.

I guess there’s not much to do. That’s pity for all those people that will try to download those 5 GB without luck. Maybe I should put some attractive and incomplete file into my Torrent folder and tease users?  >:D Just kidding.

D.

P.S. Off course I own the game. I always support good productions.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 03:19:48 pm »
What torrent client are you using?

TheHalf™

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 06:20:51 pm »
You can also have a look at the properties of the download and see what is not being downloaded (this is show in % of each file).

Perhaps the thing that is incomplete is a text file or something and it doesn't really matter?

Digitron

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:38:42 am »
I am using BitTorrnet (5.0.9).

The particular file of 5 GB is in one file and I can not see what I am missing. When looking in the temp. folder where the incomplete downloaded files are stored there is only one unknown (unrecognized) file 5 GB. 
It’s the same story with previous attempts.

Another thing that makes me wonder is the average download speed of approx. 5 KB/s for all my downloads. Sometimes they get as high as 100 KB/s but that is a rare case.
My cable Internet connection when tested with online Internet speed tests shows that my provider offers me 5-6 Mb/s. (I pay for 10 Mb/s). Could my “slow” connection be the reason? Router? Etc.?

But don’t worry. I will figure that speed problem out soon enough. I don’t want to take more of your time answering all those things.

All the attention regarding this topic was concerning files that are suppose to be available but are not. How to correct that in future? By Google search I found just two people wondering (at TorrentPortal.com forum) the same thing about this “Quake Wars” file stopping at 99.9%. I think there should be some kind of way to comment particular file so people know before downloading that the file is incomplete. Especially when it’s one big file.
Maybe I am making a big issue out of nothing.
I guess I will delete that 99.9% finished file and move on.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Digitron.    8)

MinLo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:52:23 pm »
Isn't that what the fakes were doing awhile back?........ I don't use torrents anymore but I thought this was a past technique of RIAA/MPAA/Software Comp's.........Maybe I'm mistaken ??? ???
Are you using Public sites also???

Incomplete files have nothing to do with Bit-Che.......Bit-Che just searches sites for the torrent files you are tryin to download.......Most sites have a place to give comments........My unupdated Azuerus has comment option also but most of the time no-one bothers.......

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:23:22 am »
In uTorrent you can set it so that it downloads the first and last pieces first, maybe you should get uTorrent and try it that way?

Digitron

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:28 am »
I am not that familiar with those terms (RIAA/MPAA) so I can not answer the question but I might try uTorrent as Synbios suggested. I'm using only Bit Che with BitTorrent at the moment.

No blame on Bit Che!

Thank you all for you suggestions and answers.

Sincerely yours,

Digitron   :D

[/quote]

Tanjnt

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:05:12 am »
Sometimes 99.9% is complete. I don't recall the details, but it relates to the way the torrent file is created. Poke around in the help section of the board forums and you should be able to find the details.
Sometimes if you stop the file, then restart it, it will go to 100%.

If you give the file a try, there is a reasonable chance that it is OK.

imike24

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:47:19 pm »
Yeah. When it stops, just carry on again should be fine.

Offline johnsonplaid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 10:55:17 pm »
It is very informative and helpful to me.  ;)