Author Topic: Error downloading scripts  (Read 26895 times)

ScottieB99

Re: Error downloading scripts
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 03:08:31 am »
Anything at all? Same thing is still happening...

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 03:38:25 am »
Hi ScottyB,

sorry, i think i DID forget about this ;(   

OK, so you can search for torrents, but actually downloading them either (Open Torrent or Save Torrent As..) and also trying to Update Scripts both produce the "Valid name, no data record of requested type"  error?

-chip
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

ScottieB99

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 04:35:07 am »
Thats ok, not a big deal. And yes you are correct, thats the error I recieve when I try any of those. I can however open the page and download the torrent that way...

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 01:43:16 am »
ok, just so I can eliminate certain things that might be causing a problem, can you right click a result and "Copy Torrent URL > Clipboard" and then paste it here?

ScottieB99

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 02:38:40 am »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 02:13:59 am »
ScottieB99,

can you run this version of debug.exe for me and copy/paste the output here (or PM)? :)

thanks,
chip
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:14:27 pm by chip! »

ScottieB99

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 10:03:49 am »
PM sent!

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 01:31:11 pm »
thanks!  got the PM.. 

apparently its having a problem finding the IP address for the host names.. this is most likely due to your ISP's DNS servers, but the odd thing is that you are able to connect to the convivea.com website using your web browser (obviously) and not through the winsock control.  ???  SO.. this would seem to be a classic case where some Firewall on your PC is preventing proper DNS lookups with Bit Che, but you have said that you allowed access through the firewall? Can you also attempt this with all of your firewalls (including MS Windows Firewall) disabled?

in any case, gimme another day or so and hopefully ill have another debug tool ready to attempt to pinpoint where the DNS issue is happening..

-chip
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:34:33 pm by chip! »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:55 pm »
ScottieB99,

if you dont mind.. here is version 2.0 of my debug tool..  after it loads, hit the 'Winsock' button..  that should be all the information I need.. then send it in a PM again!  it will test 4 different ways for resolving the Hostname to the IP.. so that should give us a good indication of what is wrong, and why. :)

thanks!

ScottieB99

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:40 pm »
PM sent!

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 02:11:00 am »
ok, so the latest version of the debug tool used 4 methods:

1)   directly accessing Winsock 2 'ws2_32.dll' to call GetHostByAddr API
2)   executing command "nslookup convivea.com"  [default network nameserver]
3)   executing command "nslookup convivea.com ns44.domaincontrol.com"  [domain/host nameserver]  -this should NEVER fail
4)   using Winsock OCX

and they all failed for ScottieB99. the NSLOOKUP was the most interesting to fail because this is a system tool, and the result was that "DNS request timed out." that is exactly what would be causing the other methods to fail. the interesting thing is that, the nslookup using the domain's actual nameserver should never fail unless something is wrong with your network, or something (software or hardware) is blocking the DNS request from ever leaving your computer/local network.

but the strange question still remains, why is your web browser able to DNS and access convivea.com, even when a system tool nslookup can't?

is your web browser using a proxy? or any other privacy type program? any special filters set on your Router?

*something* has to be blocking "nslookup" from working. anyone have additional ideas?

ScottieB99

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:23 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. No other privacy programs are installed. No proxies. No special rules or filtering through the router either. I am baffled too. I have completely shut off all security programs and still get the same result. I am open for any ideas ! I use this program all the time and it would be even better if I could get it to work as its intended!   lol 

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 02:49:25 am »
ScottieB99, I'm going to look more into possible problems..

here is a slightly more powerful debug tool to try and see if its a problem with your Winsock2 LSP, Network Router, or Network Adapter.

run this debug.exe (2.02), but do all of the tests, starting with the button on the left (Winsock, UDP Loop Back, IPConfig /all, Netsh Winsock)

this log will be LONG, but still send it in a PM if you can.. hopefully with enough persistence, we can figure out whats wrong :)

ps, do you have any other internet programs on your computer that act strangely? and also what is your web browser?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 04:05:52 am by chip! »

ScottieB99

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 04:20:18 am »
I dont have any other programs that act strangely at all. Oddly enough, bit che worked properly at first then after a week or so, it started this stuff. My Default browser is Firefox 2.0.0.14. Gonna run the debug right now and I will PM u. Thanks again.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 06:05:55 am »
alright,

your Winsock LSP and Winsock DLL's are normal, but you definitely have some software that is blocking the connections, specifically UDP connections, but it also rejected a normal TCP connection to an IP (no hostlookup invovled).

so, we are going to have to take a closer look at your AntiVirus / Internet Security software, Peer Guardian (does not actually protect you from anything  [rolleyes]), Windows Firewall, even if you have them disabled, there must be some other software or setting..

ill continue to develop the debug tool, im planning on adding a process checker to help identify if any software is running that you dont know about.

also, if you can download and post a HiJackThis log, that would probably be helpful here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:10:02 am by chip! »