Author Topic: Microsoft reveals their next OS - Windows 7  (Read 34659 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Microsoft reveals their next OS - Windows 7
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:38:04 am »
Here's some new features of Windows 7 revealed today at the PDC2008 conference:

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/PDC_2008%3A_The_7_Coolest_New_Features_in_Windows_7

More info and good break down of the new User Interface:

http://www.neowin.net/news/live/08/10/28/introducing-the-windows-7-ui

what do you guys think?

i think it could be very nice, considering also that they are projecting that it will be smaller and lighter than vista, using the same hardware..

Windows 7 is supposed to be released late in 2009 or early 2010.  (last time i checked)..

more screen shots:   http://winfuture.de/screenshots/Windows-7-Meilenstein-3-Build-6.1.6780-3500-2.html

attached:
-Screenshot of a new Windows 7 build 6801 showing the redesigned taskbar
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:47:32 am by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
Re: Microsoft reveals their next OS - Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:03:55 pm »

texasboy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:49:10 am »
 ;D Where on earth did you find this one bovski.LOL
cheers

MinLo

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:24:58 pm »
 :D :D Bovski  :D :D

At first glance I thought that the ad was for real because I skimmed through. Then I saw pirate edition and and read the description and was like WTF til I read the other spoof's ..... ;D

xSyn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:16:02 pm »
It slightly looks like their taking a Linux standpoint. Not using the normal taskbar and such. The startmenu and everything looks like Vista, but everything else seems to look a bit more like a Linux view then a Windows view.

MinLo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 06:25:22 am »
Here's some new features of Windows 7 revealed today at the PDC2008 conference:

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/PDC_2008%3A_The_7_Coolest_New_Features_in_Windows_7

More info and good break down of the new User Interface:

http://www.neowin.net/news/live/08/10/28/introducing-the-windows-7-ui

what do you guys think?

i think it could be very nice, considering also that they are projecting that it will be smaller and lighter than vista, using the same hardware..

Windows 7 is supposed to be released late in 2009 or early 2010.  (last time i checked)..

more screen shots:   http://winfuture.de/screenshots/Windows-7-Meilenstein-3-Build-6.1.6780-3500-2.html

attached:
-Screenshot of a new Windows 7 build 6801 showing the redesigned taskbar

Chip have they released the possible min specs required yet??
Wouldn't it be funny if it failled as miserable as Vista and XP still was the popular choice and percentage leader  :D

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »
Chip have they released the possible min specs required yet??
Wouldn't it be funny if it failled as miserable as Vista and XP still was the popular choice and percentage leader  :D

They've stated before now that they're aiming for "no more" than the Vista requirements, I think they'd quite like lower but ultimately it's going to be a very polished version of Vista. The pre-beta is has to be said doesn't appear to be much of an indication of what changes are in store in terms of performance (very little difference), so we'll just have to wait for betas to come out and see how it develops.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 04:19:54 pm »
the more videos that i watch about Windows 7, the more i cant wait to have it.... it looks awesome.. finally what an OS should do.

it borrows a lot from Linux and Mac OS, but all 3 of the OS's have been borrowing from each other for years and years, so i dont care about that..

i am excited for Windows 7 because it looks like the best GUI for controlling your open/running programs that I have seem on any platform yet..  not to mention its a Windows machine, so we dont have to deal with the *nix community for software nor the Apple monopoly on your life (if you go that route)...

minor recap on Windows progression.. that i remember clearly.. 

pre 3.1 is kinda fuzzy for me, so i'm leaving that out.. but clearly... DOS -> 3.1 was HUGE!
i just dont think there were any major/serious competitors prior to Windows 3.1..  OS2 and Apple IIe didnt come out strong until around the 3.1 era? (anyone wanna look up the specifics on that?)

Windows 3.1 --> 95.. huge improvement..

Windows 95 ---> 98... not much improvement.. 

Windows 98(&me) --> XP..  huge improvemtent..

Windows XP --> (&vista) --> Windows 7...    amazing improvement..    (however, i cant STAND windows XP.. imho, what a shitty OS compared to how user friendly Vista is.)..   

who has thoughts on that? :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:25:25 pm by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

MinLo

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:13 pm »
I had to fix and secure a Vista comp for my girlfriends mom and I though it was terrible.....Right after Vista had released she bought a computer with it installed......Besides having to search for drivers for her printer (even though the printer box advertised "Vista ready out the box"), finding her a free firewall was a pain at the time(at the time it was either PC TOOLS new one or the built in Windows firewall)........Tera's mom and the other people who lived there had minimal comp knowledge......Everytime I went to her moms house I would run Spybot and Adaware, I would get gigantic amount of problem results........Plus the fricken permissions popup got so annoying.....

I have only used XP and Vista extensively.......I've been on comps with DOS,3.1, ME but never owned one enough to tinker with them......

I hope ur optimism is right Chip because I DO NOT WANT VISTA but I want something better than XP!

@Q, do you beta test for Microsoft at all?......If you do or read something I'd appreciate your input once the ball starts rolling on Win 7.....

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 05:52:14 am »
Yeah I do a bit of beta testing, I'll post about it when I start  :)

Offline Jaxx89

• Me and only me
  • Unleash the devil within!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:44:08 am »
I have been testing Windows 7 for about a week now
and imho I love it of course being the beta there are lotsa problems, but i was jus bored of my previous os XP and dint want Vista.
It is a huge improvement and i'm really happy that finally the disappointment of Vista will come to an end

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:07:13 am »
This is a follow-up to chip's initial post:

Windows 7 which has the build number of 7068 has been leaked to the web, specifically the BitTorrent (BT) network. There are several websites posting the news which seem to come about 3 days ago (I dunno), but I digress...here are a few links to a gander at;

BlogsDNA 1: http://www.blogsdna.com/2794/windows-7-build-7068-x86-32-bit-leaked-on-torrent.htm

BlogsDNA 2: http://www.blogsdna.com/1943/windows-7-activation-keys-to-activate-your-windows-7-beta-1.htm

Windows7Center: http://windows7center.com/windows-7-news/windows-7-build-7068-x86-download-leaked/

MyDigitalLife: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/03/28/windows-7-build-7068-x86-and-x64-32bit-and-64bit-with-all-sku-bt-torrents-download-links/

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:10 pm »
It's quite possible to get a legit version of the Windows 7 Beta. I downloaded the MSDN image file and registered for a FREE official key from Microsoft. I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7000 on one of my computers and it's running flawlessly. The performance does seem a lot better than Vista, especially boot times. The interface does look a lot cleaner and I love the new taskbar.

Overall, it's not too much different from Vista, but it's definitely a noticeable improvement in both performance and interface, so in my eyes that's one good windows upgrade.

The only thing I have to complain about is the name. Vista is Windows 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1. I think calling it Windows 7 was a bad idea...

Lets quickly go through some of the recent major windows releases:
Windows 5.0: 2000
Windows 5.1: XP
Windows 6.0: Vista
Windows 6.1: Windows 7

This does not make any apparent sense to me. Are they thinking that this is the naming scheme? ->

1: Windows 3.1
2: Windows 95
3: Windows 98
4: Windows 2000
5: Windows XP
6: Windows Vista
7: Windows 7

This is the only thing I can think of.

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:03:18 pm »
It looks pretty cool, they say you cant tell the difference from the real thing ...

I hear you can't upgrade from XP to 7.0 only from Vista, you have to buy the full new install, which from Microsoft is expected.

;D

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:25 am »
I hear you can't upgrade from XP to 7.0 only from Vista, you have to buy the full new install, which from Microsoft is expected.

;D

It's expected from any company that they don't support a path from version 1 to version 3 without going through version 2 first.

It's quite possible to get a legit version of the Windows 7 Beta. I downloaded the MSDN image file and registered for a FREE official key from Microsoft. I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7000 on one of my computers and it's running flawlessly. The performance does seem a lot better than Vista, especially boot times. The interface does look a lot cleaner and I love the new taskbar.

Overall, it's not too much different from Vista, but it's definitely a noticeable improvement in both performance and interface, so in my eyes that's one good windows upgrade.

The only thing I have to complain about is the name. Vista is Windows 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1. I think calling it Windows 7 was a bad idea...

Lets quickly go through some of the recent major windows releases:
Windows 5.0: 2000
Windows 5.1: XP
Windows 6.0: Vista
Windows 6.1: Windows 7

This does not make any apparent sense to me. Are they thinking that this is the naming scheme? ->

1: Windows 3.1
2: Windows 95
3: Windows 98
4: Windows 2000
5: Windows XP
6: Windows Vista
7: Windows 7

This is the only thing I can think of.

It's based off the philosophy many games have their numbering, that is: "It's that number because I say it is!". Even it's NT number is 6.1, so they can't use that as the excuse.