Author Topic: Request for details on how BitChe updates scripts.  (Read 9362 times)

Offline CuF

• View Profile
Request for details on how BitChe updates scripts.
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:34 pm »
I'm curious how Bit Che updates its search scripts and what it is capable of.

1) On some scripts I've had to change the search string.  That means removing the old one from Settings.ini for it to work correctly.  Does the updater account for that?

2) What happens if a site has moved from public to private (requiring a password)?

3) Can it deleted tracker sites known to be dead from the list or do they stay there, not working until you remove them yourself?

4) Can new trackers be added as they become popular or move?

Eg: MySpleen.net is now MySpleen.cc.  Can the updater delete the old .net and add the new .cc script?

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Request for details on how BitChe updates scripts.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:35 pm »
Bit Che keeps a single CRC value of what the script package is and then asks my server if its the same as what the server has to offer. if its different, the user is offered the option to download and install (extract) the "newer" script pack. yes, its pretty basic and i have plans to create a more powerful update process, but they are currently on hold until i can put some solid time into development of the server and Bit Che.

now, to answer your questions:

1)  Yes, when the updater downloads and extracts the new script pack, it sets a flag in the settings.ini,  (under "[Profiles]",   "reload_profiles_next_restart=1"). Thus, when Bit Che is started up the next time, all of the script settings are reloaded from their files, including the search script (which is then copied back to settings.ini).  Keep in mind, if you change a search string, but I have NOT updated the script in the download pack, and THEN if you update, the script will be overwritten, and whatever changes you have made will be lost.  This is so that 99.9% of the users never have to bother with editing anything. They can just update the pack and then restart Bit Che. And if you do edit a script, then I need to include it in the pack.. thus benefiting everyone.

2)  Keep the same file name, and then just add the header sections to specify that its a private site. That way, when Bit Che reloads it, its automatically sorted with the private sites, and there is no entry for the public site.

3)  I dont have a working system to 'delete' the scripts, however, I have been using a workaround. Delete everything in the script.ini and enter:

[script]
delete=1

This doesnt actually remove the file from the hdd, BUT Bit Che does NOT show the entry on your script list. In the future, I will make that flag mean to remove the script. See scripts like "torrentspy.ini" or "oinkme.ini" as example of dead sites.

4)  No, right now it cant. The work around is to keep the same "filename.ini" and just make the changes inside of the script file. Eg, the script is "myspleen.ini".. keep it this, and change all references from .net to .cc in the script. THEN when the new script pack is extracted, it automatically overwrites the old one. If the script file name was "myspleen.net.ini" then you would keep it as that, even if the site has changed to .cc, because Bit Che itself doesnt rely on the filename at all. Every site should only have 1 filename.ini, that way, any changes to it will automatically overwrite what was there before.

let me know if i need to explain anything in more depth! thanks! :)
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline CuF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:32:51 am »
OK, good info.

I know the passwords and cookie info is stored in the settings.ini.  I don't recall ever having to reenter passwords after an online script update.

Does that mean that information is also stored elsewhere or that the reload_profiles_next_restart=1 doesn't completely purge a script's information, just some of it?

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:25:15 pm »
Does that mean that information is also stored elsewhere or that the reload_profiles_next_restart=1 doesn't completely purge a script's information, just some of it?

The passwords/cookies are ONLY stored in the settings.ini.

When the "profiles" get reloaded, that is simply reading what the search URLs are in the script.ini for the different "profiles" (which are "All, Audio, Video, Software", etc)  and updating "settings.ini" with what it read.

-  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.