Author Topic: Thermal Paste on CPU  (Read 24601 times)

texasboy

Thermal Paste on CPU
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:04:34 am »
Just installed a new 3.0ghz HT Intel processor. The old chip was a budget one and not doing the job.
If it is any help to others dont apply the thermal paste like a peanut butter sandwich between the processor and the heatsink/fan. I used quite a lot of paste and wondered why the CPU temperatures were a little high 55-60 degrees C.

Scraped and smoothed a little ,ie just a thin film to allow good contact between components and temperature dropped back to the 44-48 degree mark.
Hope this helps
cheers

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Re: Thermal Paste on CPU
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:25:13 pm »
...mmm peanut butter. lol

TheHalf™

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 03:14:42 am »
I have to say I love AMD for this one, with Copper Paste already on my heatsinc my CPU stays at 30 - 33 degrees C  :)
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 08:14:24 am »
Did a re-clean and applied minute ammount of paste. What a difference.
Running at 32C cpu fan at 1080rpm.
Copper heatsinks are an excellent way of drawing heat from cpu but not so great at disapating. Manufacturers have learned that by mixing copper with alluminium  they can get the best of both worlds. Copper heatsinks tend to be very overweight and more expensive.
With todays higher powered mo-bos and graphics it is not unusual for cpu temps to reach into the 50`s.It may be fair to say that if your temperatures stay in the low 30`s under programme load, then your system is is basically stock and not being put under any pressure.
Todays modern cpu is very unlike its predessors and can withstand temperatures that were unheard of a few years ago. You only have to read the forums to see that some cpu`s are quite happy and stable running at 60deg
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:11 am »
Even when my CPU is under pressure it doesn't climb very high at all (and being a mathematician I run programs which push CPUs as far as they can go). I have to actually turn my CPU fan off to ever see it climb above 40.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:43:06 am »
Copper heatsinks are an excellent way of drawing heat from cpu but not so great at disapating. Manufacturers have learned that by mixing copper with alluminium  they can get the best of both worlds. Copper heatsinks tend to be very overweight and more expensive.
With todays higher powered mo-bos and graphics it is not unusual for cpu temps to reach into the 50`s.It may be fair to say that if your temperatures stay in the low 30`s under programme load, then your system is is basically stock and not being put under any pressure.
Todays modern cpu is very unlike its predessors and can withstand temperatures that were unheard of a few years ago. You only have to read the forums to see that some cpu`s are quite happy and stable running at 60deg
cheers

Tex... what the hell is your job? lol It just seems all of a sudden your far too knowledgeable about such things!  :D

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:21:06 pm »
cheers

Tex... what the hell is your job? lol It just seems all of a sudden your far too knowledgeable about such things!  :D

Yea Tex...tell us dammit. lol  ;D

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 04:10:42 am »
Sorry folks.
I had thought that Billy had explained my new position.
I design circuit and tail components in a "sweetie mouse" factory. Our customers are sometimes confused and need advice on whether the tail should be analysed first or should they try to digest the whole product and hope for the best.
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:52:51 pm »
You what?
 ???

bosoxfan

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 09:24:58 am »
Sorry folks.
I had thought that Billy had explained my new position.
I design circuit and tail components in a "sweetie mouse" factory. Our customers are sometimes confused and need advice on whether the tail should be analysed first or should they try to digest the whole product and hope for the best.
cheers
Maybe you can fix the broken button on my logitech mouse..  :)

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 06:16:52 am »
Maybe even Billy has forgotten>
For our younger viewers I will explain.
A Sweety Mouse was a very popular piece of candy . It has all the details of a proper mouse and was usually made out of marshmallow coated in fine sugar. Complete with tail/eyes/nose etc you were never quite sure where to take the first bite.lol
A bit sadistic when you pulled its head off.(no pun intended).
Sadly they dont seem to be on the market anymore.
Hope this helps  ;D
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 03:09:09 pm »
Ah I see... makes sense.
Well... in a way... I never fully understood electrics, I can make a circuit, about it...  :-[

kyopedlr

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 03:25:20 pm »
I use water coolant.... so I don't have these problems

-kyopedlr

weera

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 02:07:54 am »
Hi guys! :)
So maybe it is the problem why my PC work slower than before. I just repaired my motherboard and I use a thermal paste and I applied alot on it. is it goes to your VGA card?

texasboy

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:00 am »
Hi guys! :)
So maybe it is the problem why my PC work slower than before. I just repaired my motherboard and I use a thermal paste and I applied alot on it. is it goes to your VGA card?

Hi Weera,
Normally we would apply thermal paste when installing a new CPU(processor) This would be between the heatsink fan and the back of the newly installed socket cpu. Normally a little dab, about the size of a pea is sufficient. As you may have read I applied quite a bit and things heated up etc. What you are basically looking for is a thin smear to transfer the heat to the heatsink fan. Make sure you have the heat sink securely fastened to the motherboard. Clean any of your cards(graphic or ram) before you install and you should be ok.
cheers